A bit annoyed when ppl ask me where I come from. Also I think foreign accent hurts dating and my career.
- Depends where it is that you are from. If you are Indian for example, it will hurt your dating but will help your career (there are always friendly Indian cousins managers that will want you)
- Yeah, I think my latest build also failed due to the thick accent I have.
- Indeed cyhy46I completely lost my accent after two years of living with an american partner. Maybe that would work
- If you're taking about a foreign accent, then you either don't completely understand the word "completely", or you were 12 or younger. It gets progressively harder to completely get rid of foreign accent after about age 12, making virtually impossible without extreme effort. You can get real close, but you will always have some accent.
- Actually, BS. It might be hard but not impossible. I moved here when I was 24.
I have no accent at all other than the region in the US I spent last 12 years in. When people guess my accent, they guess that region. When I tell them about my visa issues they are surprised "We thought you were born here".
- First gen Indians trying American accent is painful and cringy to hear. I've noticed this a lot specially with Indian females (Indian males somehow don't seem to be pressurised to adopt it). Just make your accent more neutral like Sathya and you're fine with the Indian accent. Nothing wrong.
- I could already hear your accent by the way you wrote that post. Learn grammar, please.
- The best way to practice - open a celebrity speech and follow try to repeat it with the same accent / intonation / etc
- IBM gsjfcjYea European accents are charming, if you have a European accent, don't lose it! It's better than speak with an 'american' accent.
- It doesn't hurt your career. Coming to dating, congrats on trying to be someone else, for impressing and picking up girls.
You need to embrace your accent. Embrace your identity. Maybe work it out but don't change yourself for girls lol. Girls who don't like you because of your accent are those that must be ignored
- Asurion rm -Why would you try to change something that defines your identity? Truth is that you can’t change your accent how much ever you try to and it’s really stupid to change the way you originally do. You can speak their language and that’s more than enough. Mimicking accent makes you fake. Don’t be fake. Americans don’t mind you being original. Be yourself, not someone else.