How do I make it to the Valley as a complete outsider?
- I'm 29.
- Not American - also from one of those countries for which US visa is a huge pain.
- Don't have a degree.
- I can pass an LC + GrokkingSystemDesign style interview.
- Got 10 years of experience doing full stack work, but nothing at scale.
- I got no family commitments as such, single etc.
I want the huge comps y'all are making in the US. What is a good strategy for me to make it into FAANG in either the valley / Seattle / NYC? Here's what I'm thinking of:
- Get into FAANG in home country or wherever else they will take me, that's not US.
- Work for a couple years and try to transfer to US offices.
- Come to US to study a UG course in CS.
- Get a job 4-5 years from now out of college (I'll be 'old', though?).
- Get a distance UG degree from Coursera in CS, while continuing to work outside US, and keep trying stuff in Option 1. (I guess I should be doing this anyhow).
1. Is there another option I'm not seeing?
2. What are possible things that can go wrong in my strategy?
Last TC outside US (in SG), noname consulting company: USD 72K.
Good advice on this can change my life. Look forward to your thoughts.