How do you spend all the relocation dollars?
The new company is giving roughly 20k in moving misc expenses via reimbursement and they will also move the entire household items for free.
How do you guys creatively use up all those dollar amounts when relocating?
- Compass / EngFUPayMemoreAsk your landlord to give you an invoice for the full 20k and have your company REIMBURSE you for that as the relocation.
- LinkedIn Wolverine5I got my relo check *after* I was already moved in and settled. Bought some computer parts and a new personal MacBook to replace my aging Dell Latitude
- Interesting. Most companies pay for the relocation and make it taxable income, and in addition allow provide an allowance (which is typically just taxable dollar amounts you are given)
- Get some high quality electronics and appliances - most of your stuff from where you moved will have different voltage/plugs so also legit.
Harman, Bose... 20k is pretty Easy to spend - knowing from experience...
- Electronics and appliances counts towards your relocation, but maybe only do so if there is a different voltage - US has 110V and Europe has 220V for example so for us our relocation terms allowed us to buy electronics and appliances.
Second, you mentioned you struggle spending all that money in your relocation package. My point was that it is not hard to spend the money at all if you invest in high quality brands such as Harman and Bose when you are shopping for electronics.