How to approach Negotiating Salary for an SE 2 role at Company

New / Eng SubZero$
Jun 25 12 Comments

Hi All
I am in the process of negotiating salary with a company A for a SE2 role. That’s the band I got interviewed for though on research looks like I should be SE4.( 4 years of Core Software Developer Experience But 6 years overall in the IT industry).
The Recuriter I am speaking too seems amateurish in the sense a bit confused and not sure exactly how to approach the negotiation from
Her side.
I have a competing offer in hand from company B( 125k , but it’s a contractual offer in Idaho( not a place I want to be in ).
The offer from this company is in Seattle( and is a full time offer) and now stands 95k base with 5%bonus. ( first round I was offered 91k with 10% bonus)
First round of negotiation I did tell her my was minimum of 110k but apparently she thought it was 100 and could only do this as this hit he teams max budget.
In second round of negotiation I told her of my competitive offer of 125 and asked her to
Match , she says it’s too high and she can ask the Hr and HM but she is not sure and In fact was asking me what do i think she should tell them(Hr and HM) . She keeps saying she can add some sign on bonus and push it to 100k which doesn’t make sense and hence why I feel she seems inexperienced in the role
This is my first time negotiating and wanted advice how I should approach this situation and what negotiation tips and advice you folks have.

My preference is for the latter company as it’s a full to job and the benefits are great but the salary with contracting company is higher as mentioned above. So
How should I play the negotiation and how far can I push it ?

Also contract vs Full time .... what do you think is better option ? Is it always better to go for a full time option ?

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 12 Comments
  • New MAyL64
    The best leverage you can have is being willing to walk away.

    Think of a TC number below which you would not accept. Aim higher than that by a healthy amount. Don't budge below your pre-decided minimum
    Jun 25 4
    • New / Eng SubZero$
      OP
      Would they rescind the offer then ? How much can I push or keep renegotiating with the Recuriter ?
      Like if one negotiates to high of salary can a company get upset/ pissed and rescind the offer ?
      Jun 25
    • New MAyL64
      They could rescind if you're an idiot and rude about it. More likely is that they just say they can't go that high.
      Jun 25
    • New MAyL64
      Tbh I would recommend that you walk away unless you don't have high confidence you can field better offers.
      Jun 25
    • New / Eng SubZero$
      OP
      Well I recently got laid off from my last job and not very keep to move to to Idaho and would to like remain in Seattle ideally ...
      So not in a position to wait for or interview for
      Other
      Offers and wanted to just make sure I am making a right decision to choose the right option even if
      It means moving to
      A new city.
      Also any suggestions on whether a full time
      Offer is preferable over a contract offer or vice versa ?
      Jun 25
  • Truveris tYny47
    Are you relocating? A lot of big companies you can negotiate the relocation to be very generous bc it comes out of a different budget, so you could get your total comp higher
    Jun 25 1
    • New / Eng SubZero$
      OP
      No I am not. Hence wondering how best can I get the best possible TC . Any other suggestions ?
      Jun 26
  • Dispatch / Eng
    Dqsc87

    Dispatch Eng

    PRE
    Goldman Sachs
    Dqsc87more
    Sounds like you just need to walk away if you can. There will be other offers and definitely higher TC
    Jun 25 1
    • New / Eng SubZero$
      OP
      Well I recently got laid off from my last job and not very keep to move to to Idaho and would to like remain in Seattle ideally ...
      So not in a position to wait for or interview for
      Other
      Offers and wanted to just make sure I am making a right decision to choose the right option even if
      It means moving to
      A new city.
      Jun 25
  • New zehlewi
    Version pays shit it seems
    Jun 25 1
    • New / Eng SubZero$
      OP
      So among the telecom companies like Verizon , T mobile , Comcast , AT&T and so on which is the best ?
      And anyways those are the two offers I have so negotiation suggestions will be helpful please
      Jun 25
  • New / Eng SubZero$
    OP
    Also Does the walking away tactic usually work strongly , in terms of forcing the company to come back with a better offer ?
    Jun 25 0