I recently changed company/role, I moved from engineering role to a strategic marketing position (following my passion). I am very happy with the move I made. I am extremely happy every Monday to go to work actually sometime I can’t wait until the weekend is over. I admire my boss, I have the best colleges ever, I am very successful at what I am doing, I did win everyones respect in just few months. Bottom line: I am enjoying work!!! Is that normal ? Am I going crazy ? May be because it’s been just 5 months and once the excitement is gone I will be back to normal. Does anyone feel the same about his/her Job?
TOP 26 Comments
- We need to see more stories like this. That’s what I’m aiming for, moving away from developer/factory land and start interacting with normal human beings at work.
Could you give us more details on how you ended up switching roles? Did you do it internally? How did you sell yourself with no prior marketing experience? Did you get a new degree? Any details would be appreciated.
- Thanks for your message, sure I am happy to share more details.
I started first to look internally had 3 or 4 internal interviews but they all pretty much told me same thing: you are technical why you want to make the switch, trying to convince me that I should stay technical specially without MBA or privions experience. With lot of frustration I started to look outside, using LinkedIn I applied to 10ish positions less than month I had my first phone interview than second than onsite it was the best onsite interview I ever had. I connected with the team / manger.. we spoke the same language the felt my passion and understood why I need to make the move. I told them lot of sorties about myself and how I grow up supporting family business and how I did open my own restaurant while I was doing my Master ... they asked me logical questions and I had logical responses two days later I had an offer with my exact same salary my actual manager called me himself and said they believe and naturally gifted and talented and lot of good things that made accepte the offer and since then I am Happy going to work!
- Facebook ImranKhanDepends on many things.
1) once the competition heats up, and you understand enough to see through other people's agenda and if you do care then it will start becoming as uplifting as you are feeling now.
2) may be the new job is easier and less responsibilities. If so, the pay may be less (if not now, eventually), you will start regretting and being miserable later. If the pay is the same and still the work is easier then you have hit a jackpot and should write a book.
- The pay is the same, the work is more fun, things that I love and happy to do (it does not feel like work to me). My manager told me based on my performance of last couple of months he predicts that I will be very successful in the company. He started pulling me into board reviews with president of division and getting me exposure to whole new world. I really admire/respect my boss
- Nvidia ECTT56Yes, it's normal to feel that up to 6-8 months in. Then it's usually fight to adapt or flight when the honeymoon is over.
- Amazon ridiculeI’m a long-time SDE turned Solutions Architect and I wonder the same thing. This job is so flipping easy relative to proper and fun engineering. My worry is that I’m a really good engineer and team lead and might not be able to return to SDE if this end up too good to be true.
- Bloomberg / EngWPslayermoreGood for you.
Wondering what’s it like to have a passion for strategic marketing.