If Trump keeps insisting on a wall, will he face a Republican primary challenger in 2020?Jan 9
Can't imagine the Republicans are feeling comfortable watching Trump keeping the government closed over an issue most Americans oppose. At the moment while Trump is unpopular with Americans overall he's still popular with Republicans.
But that could easily change if they think he is boxing himself into a corner that will guarantee a loss in 2020.
So if he keeps this up and the impact of the shutdown starts getting real (impacting tax returns, air travel, etc) I think there will be increasing pressure on the GOP to run somebody else for President in 2020
- Microsoft Decius MusWe are comfortable. I’ve come to realize liberals believe in a religion - the cult of big government. Most of us conservatives are just fine with the government closed. We see it as tyranny over our lives.
- My guess is democrats would like you to think that so they can appear successful and gain support.
In reality, I am quite sure he is earning more popularity with his base the longer this drama unfolds.
- Google gt6N14The man beat off like 20 other challengers back in 16. Whether or not someone challenges him in the primaries is irrelevant.
- Salesforce / EngSuperpowerNo matter how centrist or “moderate” a candidate the Republicans run, Mitt Romney for example, Democrats still act like they’re the next worst thing to literal Hitler. As shown by the 2016 election, Republicans stopped trying to win moderates or the approval of the left wing.
- Apple fu manchuBecause no matter how moderate they pretend to be, they still follow the GOP party position religion. “Corporations are people my friend” and “47% of poor people...” comment doomed Romney and exposed that he really is out of touch with the pulse of the voters. The simple fact is most moderates and independents don’t agree with Republican Party policies. The majority of America disagrees with the GOP on issues, so the only way to win is to play a negative branding and positioning game and leverage the electoral vote system to stay in power.Jan 101
- OP, you don't have to be Republican to at least know the positions that the party stands for.
Republicans fight to reduce the size of government, especially the parts they disagree with.
Remember Rick Perry trying to remember the agencies of government (Education, Commerce, Energy) he would get rid of for Republican primaries? That is him talking to his base.
- I don't think Republicans stand for cancelling flights because airports don't have enough TSA staff around to keep them secure.
So far nobody has yet missed a paycheck. That changes Friday. Maybe these TSA guys can go for a couple weeks without pay but at some point they will just find other jobs. These are not high paid people who have tons of savings to coast on, these are people who need their pay to make ends meet
Being declared an essential service only keeps you working without pay until you resign.
- I think the country should pay it's obligations. But both parties see it as the other parties unreasonableness.Whichever news you watch, you will believe your party is in the right side of things. They both think they are fighting the good fight and blame the other. It is for political wins at the expense of the everyday citizen.
- Amazon XIjQ36Are Indians mostly Republicans? Blind is worse than the Fox news/Yahoo comments.
- New / ConsultantBlindSensemoreThere is one thing those 20 naive contestant didn’t do. He made them variables while they failed to make him a variable. So it was easy for him to drop them while they couldn’t sink him like DROP gop.trump.