Have started seeing lot of Indian drivers in Bay Area lately, has anything changed in terms of visa / eligibility for being a driver?
TOP 43 Comments
- Finally, they get the job they’ve been dreaming of since childhood. That of an Uber driver.
- Cannot be Indians. Must be Pakistanis or Bangladeshis. They have a shorter wait time to get GC.
- Amazon / Eng 🤔about🍑Recently being racist became fad .. maybe that is why you are noticing Indian drivers
- I'm sure it's illegal. And, a lot of OPT students do this to earn a source of income. Exploiting system like this is what causes all the unnecessary trouble.
F1 and OPT is for studying and gaining skills. Actions must be taken against folks who misuse it.
- That is not a rebuttal.. But are the few students who work illegally for a short duration the biggest problem of the current immigration system ??
Note, I am NOT saying doing illegal stuff is correct. But we are living in a non ideal world and there are bigger problems to fix in immigration. We can’t fix everything tomorrow, so targeting a few students who do some illegal stuff temporarily would not be the first thing to do according to me.
Coming up with a combination of merit based system to attract talented ppl and a compassion based system that helps the needy ppl should be the goal.
Current immigration system is RANDOM and BROKEN.
- I'm with you on fixing immigration.
But, working illegally is a no-no. The number of fake jobs, illegal works has resulted in an influx of sub-standard talent and these folks who have been gaming the system are the people in the GC queue and causing more issues in the immigration.
H4 wouldn't have gone if folks didn't game it. H1B wouldn't have gotten stricter rules if people never misused the grey area. OPT, STEM would have been just fine if folks didn't work illegally. Every illegal doing causes troubles to the folks who follow things legally.
- So this is what you are saying:
The system has lot of grey areas. People who are coming on H1b for fake jobs, thereby misusing it, are the ones who are bad and terrible.
But what about the politicians, lawyers and corporations who are keeping this broken system to benefit out of it for decades ?
I am saying politicians, lawyers and corporations who employ such ppl are the biggest culprits
- That is a gross over generalization to suit your thought bias.
Not all fake consultancies are run by immigrants. They have lawyers, workers, clients who are US companies and/or citizens. If they are so fake as you say, why are they all not caught easily in one go ? What is your data point to make such a claim ?
H1b and/or green card are not given to ppl only based on the recipient’s merit only. They are need based as well. A company in North Dakota may have a different need than a company in California and for a different salary.
And off course all these immigration rules are guided by politics and LOBBYING. And the lobbying has kept the current system as is for decades. That is the problem (people who have caused such a ridiculous system), not the ppl who are a resultant of the system.
- Google blokThe Indians you see driving for Uber/Lyft are probably beneficiaries of chain migration. Everyone knows Indians have a 70-150 year wait time for a GC when they are on an H-1B visa.
- I have heard that MS students are driving uber/lyft on OPT.
Not all can land jobs due to uncertainty in H1b lottery. employers are having a tough time to accommodate the ones already employed on OPT but didn’t get picked in the H1b lottery, so they are limiting the new hires who would be on OPT
- Being illegal in this country gives you more rights than being legal. So, I would encourage them to drive Uber and take up other jobs even if their visa status does not allow. And if they are caught and deported they can always reach out to Human Rights Orgs and Social Media and cry about being separated from family by the cruel Government. Posting videos and pics of crying babies and they being beaten up and dragged into jail would help even further. This would ensure they stay in the country and awarded permanent residency immediately.
Flagged by the community.