Software Engineer 3 in Bay Area
YOE in USA - 3.5
Masters from US.
Prior YOE outside USA: 4 (reputed Product Company)
2018 W2 had 180k+ as wages.
Base 130k (effective April 2019)
Expected Total compensation to be 200k for 2019, provided PayPal stock doesn't crash.
Is my total compensation too low with over 7 years of experience in Software industry?
Thinking about switching.
Software Engineer 3 in Bay Area
- Workday cnmbI’m making 350k doing pretty much nothing in workday, a company famous for low TC, with 4.5 yrs out of college. Mostly because the company stock did really well. I don’t think there’s much the company can do or don’t do in terms of TC. I’m sure that’s many folks here got such a high TC.
- I agree that Blind messes up a lot of people's "happiness" at work. I was introduced to this earlier this year and motivated/encouraged me to be switching to an opportunity that would be TC 30%+.
Positive competition is always welcomed in this world, but I fear that the recruiting gods will also get more competitive in the future with these new data points and do ing the negative effects.
Or maybe not, TC or GTFOMar 4 0
- Accenture bOsk66Wait I don't get why you have to make a post about this, if you feel that you can do better, just go interview outside.
- PayPal longlinesPayPal pays for performance. If you're performing, you will be getting a boatload of stock refreshers and promotions. Sounds like you are getting paid what PayPal values you.
With stock refreshers there are plenty of PayPalers that make more than FANG. There are also plenty that don't come close. It's all about performance and impact.
Flagged by the community.
- Palo Alto Networks ftyrioI want to add that it is not totally true. This post would make you feel bad about your performance. Other factors include office politics, the fact that your h1b, your manager perception of you, etc. I would say that don’t accept the crap that performance is the reason for low pay UNLESS you know it is. I have seen my share of people working hard but not being appreciated. I have seen people who do not much and make a bundle. Yes it is not fair. It only becomes fair if you accept it.Mar 3 3
- I tend to agree. I have worked on project with mostly high visibility and worked smarter, harder and always got ATB since I joined.
I have decent stock options but first year was peanuts. Second year I got promoted and the refresher was okay. Third year, no promotion but avg stock comp I'd say. But also lower than what I read on blind.
All in all, even with good, visible work, it depends on your time and the politics that go around at higher levels. Up to your chain of command to push for you and create a balance amongst the people downstream.
- Apple / HR SnVL04Well, according to levels FYI there’s no SE 3 at PayPal. But if it’s like anywhere else, it is an alright TC for that level.
- Microsoft nimbyCan you get another offer with more pay? If yes, then you are underpaid, if no, then you are not.
- Microsoft shared_ptrThat’s why recruiters ask you how much you make. In theory, you tell them what you want and they will acknowledge if they can beat it or not before interviewing. Theoretically they can pay you a lot but you can bomb the interview... who’s fault would that be at that point?
- Just promoted to SE3, making 220K this year.
2018 w2 shows 200K.
I have 5+ YOE mostly in US.
You are undervalued. Easiest way to fix leetcode and interview.
- YOE doesn't directly imply that you deserve ridiculous salaries. PayPal isn't a high paying company. Try to move to one of the FAANG et al
- Magic Leap ——-New grads are paid more than you are. You are paid very very low amount. Aim for 350 or 400k.
- TrueCar mfRC45you do have 8 years of experience, do not think that you are just a 3.5 YOE candidate just because you did not work in US during all your career. So, push for more RSUs and on base as well. I think you should ask for a 150K plus range base and companies are usually a bit more generous with RSUs so ask for more RSUs as well