Is there any way for an Indian H1B person to start up and sell in the US market?Dec 2, 2018
Have been doing a ton of homework in the last few months. Goal is not to set up a outsourcing entity but a SaaS product. I want the IP to be owned by US entity to facilitate any acquisition in the future. Cannot get green card till 2040, eb2 queue entering 2019. Is there any path apart from the following:
Setup Delaware C corp, create India subsidiary of said entity, book revenues into C corp and employ entire workforce in Bangalore? Sales people in the US are employees of US entity.
Have you seen any other models work? I'm just trying to see if I can start without leaving the US. Coming back to a US job isn't easy once you leave.
(join YC and get an O1 visa: No, YC rejected this already. Unshackled ventures not an idea since path unclear after their program.)
- Google BarksdaleWhy not set up the company in India and try to get funded by Sequoia or one of the other big name VCs that operate in India? It's not like India based statups can't have big exits.
- Facebook SherylSYou can sell the IP from the indian co to the US holding entity before acquisition. That's what Google and Apple do as well. IP is owned by Ireland to facilitate taxes to be incurred there for global sales. They transfer any new IP to the Irish holding company periodically.
- Roku / EngWaggishmoreOne other thing you need to note is how your app take payments; it is much simpler if your company is registered in US.
“Coming back to a US job isn't easy once you leave.“
This is not true, as long as you have 140 and H1B you will never fall under CAP.
There is no way legally you can run a c-Corp all by yourself living in US.
- 1) Get an H1b transfer to your own company as CEO - very tough but doable if you have some funding.
2) whoever said YC was necessary for O1 ? You can get O1 if you qualify the preconditions
3) Try EB1A
- It is possible. It is just that you cannot own majority of the company. Try to meet an investor and discuss.
- I know a couple of guys who did it. They even raised money. Advantage is you can apply for green card in EB-1.
No, I don’t think it means you can be thrown out. I think it means you cannot own the company(100%). I think there should be some kind of a board to fire you.
You have to check this with the attorneys before you make a decision.