L64 at MSFT, have GOOG L5 Offer, need advise

Microsoft TrzS52
Apr 11 30 Comments

I have been stuck at L64 at MSFT for 3 yrs. I have been performing better than some of the L65’s and keep getting promises from mgmt to get promoted but no result. I discussed this with my mgmt and my manager, and GM both tell me that only way to accelerate the move up is to get external job offer. I find the strategy to be shit but now have an L5 offer from GOOG ( I was shooting for L6).

I feel odd to share my offer and use it as a threat to get promoted internally & am trying to decide how should I handle it as next promo puts me in leadership band here vs fresh start at goog puts me back to square 1. However, the role in GOOG is good-I just have some butterflies in stomach as I am getting the move as I have bias that the geo is extremely expensive as compared to Seattle and I think my hike will just take care of differential with no incremental rise. Additionally, advantage is that I get GOOG on resume and build from there.

What do u recommend, should I show offer here to get promoted internally for just say fuck u guys and go?

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 30 Comments
  • Microsoft Vbsm66
    You should move, the 10x difference in stock refresh alone makes it worth it.
    Apr 11 0
  • Facebook wootness
    Google > MS on average any day
    Apr 11 1
    • Microsoft TrzS52
      OP
      Thanks!
      Apr 11
  • Oracle not_larry
    Take Google, nothing to even think about. I wouldn’t want to work with a manager and skip who don’t have the backbone to promote me for what I’ve done but ask me to play the blackmail game. Get a counter from Microsoft first, use that to negotiate with Google to improve the offered TC and take Google.
    Apr 11 0
  • Microsoft / Eng
    temp_

    Microsoft Eng

    PRE
    Amazon
    temp_more
    Move to Google. Don't even think about it.
    Apr 11 0
  • Microsoft / Eng BamI53
    I never liked the idea of using an external offer to get promoted. That just makes yourself a flight risk.
    Apr 11 2
    • Microsoft / Eng BamI53
      And your mgmt who expected you to get an external offer before considering promoting you just didn’t care about your promotion at all. I thin what they meant to say is that if you can’t leave, stay here with your current level forever.
      Apr 11
    • Microsoft TrzS52
      OP
      Me too, it’s a fucked up strategy and agree with your assessment.
      Apr 11
  • Microsoft TrzS52
    OP
    Thanks guys! I am moving!
    Apr 11 11
    • Microsoft TrzS52
      OP
      250
      Apr 11
    • Oracle not_larry
      I think G might go higher if you can get competing offers. Also if you want L6/65 equivalent and lot more TC go to OCI (If you are in Azure)
      Apr 11
    • Microsoft TrzS52
      OP
      I guess, will have to get in and look to get promoted, getting into L6 from outside w/o competing offers is tough
      Apr 11
    • Microsoft TrzS52
      OP
      It’s a lateral move but f’ing got tired with bullshit in my org. I guess change is good
      Apr 11
    • Microsoft TrzS52
      OP
      Restart, Reset and Repivot!
      Apr 11
  • Google blinderss
    I don't imagine Microsoft will promote you just by seeing a counter offer. At best they will give some extra money. Other than that it can just be promises that are not worth waiting for. Move
    Apr 11 0
  • Microsoft rLLA40
    65 is not worth it IMHO - I am shocked that your management said that u need to get external offer to get the ball rolling!! WTF! - I don’t know your numbers but staying in your org seems a bad choice. Here is what I would do,
    Make up your mind if you want to move(I think you should). Then tell them that you have an offer and see what they do. If they promise that they will promote you in annual and if the google offer stays on till that time you can consider staying. Otherwise just jump ship.
    Apr 11 0
  • Oracle sev-1
    What’s the comp difference?
    Apr 11 1
    • Microsoft TrzS52
      OP
      Breakeven after adjusting for tax and cost of living if I stay in bay, if I stay in east bay than 10% hike
      Apr 11
  • Microsoft April3
    This is a reality and the situation sucks. Is hr listening?

    Definitely move. But, negotiate with goog another offer will help. If you’re breaking even there is space for improvement.
    Apr 11 0
  • Microsoft leetworld
    You won't get L6 from L64, even L5 is hard from 64. Take google offer. Msft L65 is not that special so don't turn down google L5 for that
    Apr 11 0
  • Microsoft jPzm21
    What have your rewards been at L64? What opportunities exist in your team for an upcoming L65? How many peers at L64 are also trying for L65 and how do you compare to them? Having Principal in your title at Microsoft gives you a huge bargaining chip when moving to another company. If it is truly around the corner, then I would wait, but there’s no guarantee until it’s in the system. It sounds like your manager supports it, but isn’t doing a good job getting their manager, skip manager, and VP on board with it. Principal is decided by the VP, if your work isn’t strongly visible to them, it’s a very tough sell.
    Apr 11 0
  • Amazon aXQP44
    Move! Staying with the company after disclosing your other offer is bad for you. They will screw you over the years.
    Apr 11 0
  • Microsoft lamdbaK
    What’s the google offer like ?
    Apr 11 0
  • Microsoft TrzS52
    OP
    Thanks guys! Helping me a lot!
    Apr 11 0

Salary
Comparison

    Real time salary information from verified employees