Base: 150, RSU: 280k, Bonus: 10%, Sign on: 60k
Base: 145, GSU: 300k, Bonus: 15%, Sign on: 55k
Both are good teams. YOE: 3.5
From blind it looks like LinkedIn has better perks - $2000 perk up, better food, ESPP, unlimited PTO and better health insurance than Google.
But Google has better brand name and maybe challenging work.
How are refreshers for SWE and L3 at LinkedIn and Google respectively? What about promotion to senior and L4?
- Google ayranJoin Google. Get that brand name on your resume. Get a promotion to T4 in 2 years and then leave.
- The raises will always be smaller if you’re high in band vs low in band and they recently changed it to a formula that is smaller than usually. I think it was about 6% for someone who was high in band for a promo and a bit like that for a SEE rating (they come with much better bonuses, 20% and RSUs 60k/4 years though)Nov 4, 2018 0
- LinkedIn korekaraPSA - Linkedin’s refresher is probably the worst. If you can accept that then the rest are heavenly awesome. Good food good perks good culture
- Thanks! I don’t know why they didn’t level me at L4, given that some people get L4 with > 3 YOE. My interview rating was pretty good according to my recruiter but since comp is in that band I am not much worried.
As someone else mentioned refreshers at L3 and L4 are almost similar.
- LinkedIn kxkf80both are nice offers. just FYI the best perk in linkedin is the two-week shutdown
- LinkedIn qTnk64Perks are meaningless. You get a shutdown but you also get frustrated out of your mind because you're surrounded by people that just can't care less about doing a good job (on average, some folks do hustle). If you need a club med experience then LinkedIn, otherwise go to Google. Fyi our attrition in eng and product is double than Google's, guess why.
- Curious, why would you say that LinkedIn is a worse brand than google? I would argue that they’re probably similar, and the team that you’re working on is more important, but that’s just me.
- No refreshers for me at LI for 2 years. I am going to G in December.
- It is a small improvement to my current TC of ~255K. Sign on is great but it is a one time thing. I really appreciate the L4 they gave me which is one level above SWE at LinkedIn.
I think getting G on my resume will help me get a better offer elsewhere in the future. Or if I start a company when I get my GC I can call myself an ex-Googler.
With good refreshers I can see myself staying at G for at least 3 years even if I only ME every year.
- My refresher at linkedin was generous, higher than goog and fb having spoken to friends at those companies.
- For refreshers I would say it really depends on your team. I am in the LTS org which brings in 50% of revenue at LinkedIn so my refreshers were quite good over the years. If you want more consistent refreshers regardless of team, go with Google, but if you know you're going to a big org at LinkedIn and think you'll do well with your manager, LinkedIn would be equally as good for refreshers
- I heard infra teams like Kafka, Data have better refreshers than Applications team. Is that true? I doubt that because they are not direct revenue generating team.
I am equally concerned about stock appreciation which I can’t predict but can definitely say MSFT is going to be better than GOOG.
With current suggestions all comes to my mind is flipping a coin.
- They are all true. Infra could have more impact and potentially more depth in terms of eng, or orgs like LTS it is easier to show your contribution (breadth) because they move faster. I believe this isn't something specific to LinkedIn, but you'll see this at Goog or FB as well.
If you prove to be valuable to the team's mission, the company will probably throw money at you to keep you. This all has to do with how you do.
But what you can't control are the benefits, perks, food, and stock appreciation 😆 And at the end of the day, if one doesn't work out, the other will always be there.
- Facebook utGz11What’s the $2k perk you refer to? Curious how the unlimited PTO works in practice? Also, when are the 2 weeks shutdown? Is it something similar to Apple’s shutdown that happens in Thanksgiving and Christmas?
- Google was all algorithmic! Standard 4 rounds, mostly LC medium-hard with some variations. I think I solved question optimally in every round without much hints expect one where I needed good hints.
LinkedIn was 4 algorithmic, 1 sys design. All LC tagged LinkedIn questions both medium and hard ones.Nov 3, 2018 1
- Congratulations on your offers!! Your LinkedIn interviews were for which track? I am interviewing with them soon and had a few questions. I can dm you if you dont mind.
This comment was deleted by original commenter.
- Microsoft 🌍🌏🌐🌏sCongrats! What's your current company and where are the offers' locations?