Need help with interview timelines...

Intel / Eng CoryP
Jun 5 18 Comments

I just got an offer from Amazon and I'm supposed to have an on-site with Apple late next week.

I am on the fence about both of these opportunities (and I don't even know if Apple will be a thing yet).

Would it be too late if I ask Amazon to wait 1.5 - 2 weeks before I negotiate/make a decision? Should I ask for the Apple onsite to be moved up?

TC for Amazon is not known yet...

Current TC just in case...
~130k
4 YOE

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 18 Comments
  • Facebook / Manufacturing ewQj67
    Your current TC is pretty low
    Jun 5 2
    • Intel / Eng CoryP
      OP
      Lol ok. Didn't really want to post it but I need advice.
      Jun 5
    • Amazon / Eng ¯|_(ツ)_|¯
      That's probably one of the reasons he's leaving lmao
      Jun 5
  • Apple o rly owl
    Let the Apple team know you got an offer from Amazon, and if they don’t speed up your timeline, take the Amazon offer
    Jun 5 1
    • Intel / Eng CoryP
      OP
      They've already offered to move it up. I wanted some time to prepare so I guess now I need to figure out what the sweet spot is
      Jun 5
  • Amazon SeekingHLP
    One in hand is better than two in !! You know what I mean.
    Jun 5 3
    • Intel / Eng CoryP
      OP
      Yes definitely why I still want this interview. In the middle of my Amazon track, they told me they filled up all positions at the Sunnyvale location so I'm just a bit worried that two weeks might cost me a spot.

      Could be all part of the recruiter's game though.

      E. Oops I misread your message. Sorry
      Jun 5
    • Amazon SeekingHLP
      Yep. Negotiate the offer, get the best deal and ask for joining date in future. If you get better deal at Apple, don’t join Amazon, and apologize to both Amazon hiring manager and recruiter (so no bridges are burnt) and if Apple didn’t work out or give you a worse offer, join Amazon.

      All the best.
      Jun 5
    • Intel / Eng CoryP
      OP
      Thank you!!
      Jun 5
  • Amazon / Eng frogman47
    My recruiter was chill about granting an extension and then negotiated with me after said extension.
    Jun 5 0
  • Apple
    BrkDikBran

    Apple

    BIO
    Burninating the countryside in addition to the peasants
    BrkDikBranmore
    Just let Amazon know that you have some other onsites already scheduled that you've committed to, and that you want to see them through before making a decision.
    Jun 5 0
  • Apple / Eng
    hardybo

    Apple Eng

    PRE
    Apple
    hardybomore
    Is this offer for hardware role?
    Jun 9 3
    • Intel / Eng CoryP
      OP
      SDE1 (software development)
      Jun 10
    • Apple / Eng
      hardybo

      Apple Eng

      PRE
      Apple
      hardybomore
      Are you making hw to sw move?
      Jun 10
    • Intel / Eng CoryP
      OP
      Yes I'm trying to
      Jun 10
  • Intel / Eng CoryP
    OP
    They're giving me 5 days... This kind of feels like an exploding offer...

    Edit: I asked firmly for more time and it worked. That negotiation article really helps...

    https://haseebq.com/my-ten-rules-for-negotiating-a-job-offer/
    Jun 6 0
  • Facebook / Manufacturing ewQj67
    Even if they won't extend join date, just join and quit when better offer comes.
    Jun 5 0
  • Intel / Eng CoryP
    OP
    Thanks! I asked for an extension. Seems like common sense now. 🤔

    Time to focus on Apple...
    Jun 5 0