Okay to give 2 weeks notice before you have h1 transfer receipt ?

Facebook pussies
May 29 18 Comments

Currently SWE at FB on H1B, leaving for SWE at another company soon.

I am mentally checked out and my manager is annoying me with regular status updates, wlb is crap, want to gtfo ASAP.

The law firm (BAL) is about to file the petition this Friday. So I should have the receipt by next Wednesday.

Is it okay to give my 2 weeks notice before I have the receipt (say tomorrow) ?

I know it’s not ideal, but what are the risks ?

I am okay with joining on receipt even if there’s RFE. I have CS degree all the way, so chances of rejection are minimal.

Since I still have 2 more weeks after FB (after the notice), I should have the receipt (hopefully even approval) before I quit.

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 18 Comments
  • FUJIFILM / Eng bug_gen
    Be a professional, don't try to burn Bridges, you never know when you might have to go back to FB in the future. As for your 2 weeks notice wait until you have the receipt at least.
    May 29 5
    • Facebook pussies
      OP
      I still have 2 more weeks until I quit ? What’s wrong with giving notice now ? Shouldn’t I have the receipt by then ?
      May 29
    • FUJIFILM / Eng bug_gen
      I mean if you think the extra 1 week if you wait will absolutely kill you, then do it.
      May 29
    • Oracle hymnbook
      What if your petition is lost and no receipt is generated? Yes, it happens.
      May 29
    • Facebook pussies
      OP
      I am taking 1.5 weeks off after quitting. So 3.5 weeks until I join the new company, that should be enough for refilling in case the petition I believe
      May 29
    • Paychex dunder1
      Can’t you take some personal time off? Just relax. The last thing you want now is to ruin your career by rushing. Take it slow
      May 29
  • Oracle ❤️love
    Just suck it up op- and don't rush
    May 29 0
  • Google SrlB03
    U might get out of status and have to leave us ultimately
    May 29 2
    • Facebook pussies
      OP
      Isn’t there a 60 day grace period ?
      May 29
    • Amazon
      Maxter

      Amazon

      BIO
      Yo-yo Chen
      Maxtermore
      Yup. Your old employer can take you back anytime if you are doing good.
      May 29
  • Marvell elkimpact
    Dude you managed to manage your manager for so long....just wait.
    May 29 0
  • T-Mobile fun oh
    Say you're going through some personal stuff that's bothering you in the one-one with your manager. When the time is right put down the papers. You can make it look like it's you and not FB 😂
    May 29 0
  • New AXWY54
    What is your current and new TC
    May 30 0
  • New QBCL07
    Hey Buddy, I know what it feels like. Do not burn your bridges. Just suck it up, fall sick (:-P), but do not burn your bridges. Rejection is minimal, but RFE's do take place and relationships matter. Valley is smaller than you realize.
    May 30 1
    • Facebook pussies
      OP
      Thanks for your response bro. Could you explain how I am burning bridges? I am giving 2 weeks notice.
      May 30
  • Groupon abcdgo
    Wait till the receipt atleast, ideally i would wait till the trasfer is done before even informing the employer. And even 1 week notice is fine that won't burn bridges. Your manager will understand why you leaving and in any case if he wants to burn no matter how well you behave things will go in either way depends on how he/she wants to take it. So just make sure to not be in a position without having any surety (i.e. receipt or full transfer). Take sick leave if that helps but don't give notice without surety that the transfer is going good (it's not under your control)
    May 30 0
  • Facebook pussies
    OP
    Many people here have advised me to not burn bridges.

    I am not sure what made them that I am doing so. As I mentioned in the post I am giving 2 weeks notice. Could you clarify please.
    May 30 0
  • Slalom Consulting It's!
    Interested to see responses to the post that doesn't have TC;)
    May 30 0