Time for another poll of Blinders. Let’s see how obsessed we are with TC.
Would you rather have Principal title, 200k base and 20% bonus at a non FAANG Unicorn with a more chill work environment and less stress
Senior-ish title at a FAANG with 300k TC (180k base, 120k RSU) with higher stress and less WLB?
- Piggybacking off of this, is spending more time with your kids and wife more important than 60k? That is a decision no one but you can decide as different people have different priorities. Yeah money is cool, but it’s not like you’re gonna be going hungry making 240k a year unless you spend money like an asshole lolDec 52
- Amazon azmixYour math is wrong... if you start as a Principal and you’re good, you’ll be become a 500K+ TC Director in no time or keep burning out at FAANG cliffing every 4 years. Think long term!
- Microsoft / OtherIgvadmoreQuality of Life > TC, without question. As long as I have enough money to pay my bills, take care of my family & save for the future then I'm happy. I couldn't care less about buying shit.
- And where this 240k TC in non FAANG came from? There are non FAANG companies that pay 400+k TC + they have way better WLB and benefits.
- Faang usually brings in people at lower level, but if you are good you won’t have a issue growing back to same level with a higher tc
- First of all, your job title doesn't make sense at smaller companies. They can call you director or Ninja and it still works cause it's not standard. Being a principle there won't let you transfer as a principal in fang later, but if you are a senior at fang, you would transfer as a senior anywhere else. It's the industry standard.
Secondly, if you can't do the job efficiently, fang isn't for you. Those people who work at fang have their own life and is managing them well. Those who can't, opt for lower tc and more wlb at smaller companies.
In the end, it depends on your capabilities. Do whatever you like, if your stomach is full, rest of the problems are just inside your head.
- I’m not necessarily agreeing with you in regards to title. I think when we discuss “Unicorns” most of them are relatively large now where the skill sets, title and responsibilities would transfer to other companies.
I am really just curious to see how Blinders react to this question and whether or correlates to being single vs having a family
- It’s interesting looking at the results right now. I’m curious of those who voted for the higher TC do you have a family, or are you single and willing to grind out the work for long term financial well being?