Assuming the vested period is over, how long does it take to sell my stock awards in Microsoft? Is one seen as not loyal is one sells off his stocks?
TOP 12 Comments
- Microsoft YwWb48You click a button and you sell it, once it's vested it's yours. And no one cares if you sell your stocks and they won't know anyway.
- Google Noogler69Usually it takes three days after the vest date for the remaining shares to go into your account after some are sold for taxes, and another three days to get the money once you put in the sell order.
- How long does it take to sell? Where does it end up? Does it go straight into your checking account? Do I have to go to netbenefits to sell?
- Cruise Automation zbSw81Former softie here. You will hit your vesting date. Ms will grant you the shares but it will take a few days for them to sell the legally required 25% in taxes. Once they e done hat the remaining shares will be placed in netbenifits. On left hand nav you’ll see it listed near your 401k (which I assume you’re doing bc ms 401k is amazing and you’re throwing away 8k a year if your not maxing out). To sell you use the netbenefits ui to sell just like a normal stock trade. During that you can choose to have it settle in your netbenefits acct or go directly to checking. This assumes you’ve setup checking with fidelity. They have some hoops you have to jump through and a waiting period so you should start on that now if you haven’t. You can sell and settle to netbenefits in the mean time to diversify. When checking is setup you can start a deposit through netbenefits. Finally no one cares if you sell and you should as a huge portion of your income is tied to ms. Both your salary and future stock. If MS does poorly your future earning from stock will go down and MS does layoffs. So worst case scenario if you lose your salary and future stock plus your existing stock takes a massive hit. If you want to have exposure to the stock market throw your money in an index fund. Search boglehead lazy portfolio. It’s a set of a few index funds that ensure your highly diversified.Aug 12, 2018 2
- Microsoft / Eng Tier 1It takes 1-2 trading days for the stock to arrive in your brokerage account, and roughly another 60 seconds to sell the stock. Then 2 more trading days to get the cash.
I don’t think anyone would really know if you’ve sold them or not other than yourself, your broker, and the IRS.
- Microsoft OITS81The shares don’t even hit your account. Approx 25% of the shares are sold and withheld as income tax.