What do FAANG and other top tech companies think of PayPal?Jan 10
Please avoid TC or GTFO.
Just want to know the perception of PP as a tech company! You can be brutally honest.
Other top companies: Uber, Lyft, Airbnb, Oracle, MSFT
Apologies if I missed out something.
- Amazon / EngmrAmazeThe whole imaginary “tier” rankings that people talk about in Blind are totally subjective and really don’t mean much of anything. That being said, on my personal tiered scale, I’d rank PayPal as tier 3.
- Netflix enjoylyfetSWv17, there is a reason BofA is tier 10 is because it distorts your reality to what the tier is. When you say your work is Tier1 does that mean it's on par with FAANG? From what I hear of BofA and it's tech stack, it doesn't seem to match.
Maybe it is but I'm genuinely curious to know.Jan 103
- @enjoylyfe - Like most things in life, it's not smart to generalize.
I'm personally very connected to reality and I know that in every company, whether it's BofA/Netflix/PayPal, there is shit (pencil pusher kinda) work & quality (cutting to bleeding edge kinda) work.
'The cheques that you can either scan via the BofA mobile app or deposit through ATM machines and the instant money deposited into your account' is a fascinating technology solution under the hood.
I work on the computer vision based machine learning problems (like encountered in the above example) and various other ML/DL problems at BofA. The tech stack is comparable to any top tier company from what I know.Jan 103
- Google / EngL4GruntHow can you include "Oracle" as a top company? Your sense of reality is severely distorted
- Tiers must be decided based on employee experience. Compensation, How smart are people they work with, how elite the processes are, how great life as an employee is, how fair the policies are and finally the perks of the job itself.these things make the job coveted. People compete to get such jobs.
People often confuse company stock price (Apple , amazon etc) to be the only factor. That is the main factor for an investor not for an employee).
AFAIK, Oracle has some great minds but I have seen a lot of mediocre to horrible people in that company. The interview process is a joke compared to google fb or any other tier 1 companies. While comp and perks are not too bad they don’t compare to tier 1 companies.
If you want to stay in denial then sure work for those companies! Oracle, sap, hp, and yeah Levi too why not.
- Facebook / EngTCYOEThis was my tier list about a year ago. I should probably change things around
Tier 0: Be your own boss
Tier 1: Google, Facebook, Netflix
Tier 2: Apple, Airbnb, Lyft, Uber, Square, Slack, Dropbox, LinkedIn, Nvidia, Robinhood
Tier 3: Microsoft, Amazon, Yelp, Pinterest, Twitter, Salesforce, Zillow, Snapchat, Reddit, Spotify, Twitch
Tier 4: Cisco, Oracle, Yahoo/Verizon, SAP, Intel, Adobe, IBM, Intuit, eBay, PayPal, Juniper
Tier 5: Everything else
- It really depends on the group. In my group, most people graduated from top schools and end up working at FAANG after been here for 2-3 years. On the other hand, I used to come across some group that would be anywhere from tier 2 to 4. In term of business, I think we are doing well and we also acquired startups aggressively in the last couple of years. e.g. Venmo, iZettle, Jetlore, Simility etc.
- There are legal limits on how innovative and disruptive one can be in finance.
PayPal sold out to big banking when it got rid of its interest on deposits.