Frequently see bad WLB as a topic here, what does it mean to you in quantitative terms? Hours per week/demanding bosses/schedule pressures, write something freeform.
TOP 16 Comments
- Uber phlebotomyHow much time you spend doing stuff you like vs. how much time you spend doing stuff you don’t like.
- SAP marchiearmoreAutonomy to live my life how I think is best. At work, but also with family and kids.
Need to see a customer? Go.
Work my behind off over Thanksgiving, but know there will be an almost empty stretch end of next month? Perfectly fine.
Need to be with the kiddos at 11 AM in a Tuesday? Just do it.
In the office? Great!
Remote from a different country, cause the parents are getting old? You got it.
Autonomy. The employee benefit to think like a business man.
- United Wholesale Mortgage zpyM13moreIt means no “clocking in”. No saying “lunch doesn’t count”. Work from home is not only optional, it’s preferred. Give me all the tools to do my job from anywhere. Don’t create artificial deadlines. I’m not going to work on the weekend unless I can take a long weekend. My vacation is encouraged and never have any time where I feel like it’s a “blackout date”. If I work on projects, my project is what matters, not my time.
- Amazon umbrella80moreI think for me it’s about mutual respect between me and my employer that I will put in my maximum effort at work while they keep in mind that I have a life outside of work that’s just as important. It’s the employer’s willingness to work with me to ensure that I’m as productive as I can be which includes not having to worry about taking vacations or a day off for a sick family member and such things.
- Amazon away.throw“It’s not a balance, it’s a circle”. Thanks Jeff.
This one’s hard, because I like working, to the point of it being unhealthy.
Generally it means:
- no arbitrary deadlines that exist just to get you your bonus
- I can dispense with FOMO and leave work at work...if I so choose.
- I can take vacations 1 week+ without checking email and I get zero side eye.
- I can flex time if needed for family obligations
- I can go to the bathroom at any time if needed (sounds dumb, but can be a genuine issue)
- I don’t have to account for my time in 6 minute increments for billable hours.