do you support the GM strike?

New cyOg03
Oct 7 27 Comments

what are your thoughts on the GM strike? do you support UAW?

113 VOTES SELECT ONLY ONE ANSWER
VOTE VIEW RESULT

comments

Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 27 Comments
  • General Motors ganbadei
    Guaranteed raises and bonuses? Maybe engineers should form a union too lol
    Oct 8 6
    • General Motors ganbadei
      I hope you are being sarcastic about both haha
      Oct 8
    • Daimler mechanon
      I mean is it wrong to expect a bit more spread of that profit sharing to the people at the bottom of the chain? I don't think so
      .. but then again it's not like I'm paid peanuts. Bottom line is everyone could use more money. Union, salaried, part time...
      Oct 8
    • General Motors ganbadei
      Unfortunately the profit margin of automotive industry is very low as is :( ~7-8%
      Oct 8
    • Daimler mechanon
      Yep. Interesting jobs don't pay all that well. Software geeks in Cali are probably chuckling while browsing this thread.
      Oct 8
    • General Motors sBto05
      The UAW pay scale tops out at less than IT salaries start at the low end. Their bonuses are more generous, but they also work in a more hazardous and less appealing environment than most if not all of GMIT.

      Over all their total comp is lower than the IT portion of the white collar side of GM, even if you've been on the assembly line for a decade or two.

      I'm not sure what unionizing the IT side of the whole operation would accomplish. We're already compensated well for what we do, it's pretty difficult to lose your job outside of mass layoffs, if you can't cut it on your team or in your role we're usually pretty good at finding you something else to do (it's a huge company so it's cheaper to do that than fire you). The only thing I could think of is maybe scope of work and volume of work, but that's offset by 16 company holidays and 15 days of PTO (that jumps to 20 days after 2 years) and unlimited sick leave.

      Unionizing wouldn't do much to help GMs IT staff.
      Oct 8
  • Microsoft Bow
    Fuck them both 🤷‍♂️
    Oct 7 0
  • General Motors sBto05
    Having heard their demands, I can't say I disagree with the UAW. But I'm pretty sure the strike cost all salaried GM employees their bonus this is year.
    Oct 8 2
    • Cruise Automation dolboeb
      Nah mary still getting hers
      Oct 8
    • General Motors sBto05
      Idk, she's all about the free cash flow. And her metrics for Team GM payout are the same base metrics as the newest college hire's.
      Oct 8
  • Fiat Chrysler xcleet
    Those UAW people are bunch of racist assholes. Knowing that I can't help but say fuck em.
    Oct 8 12
    • General Motors sBto05
      Oh yeah. That shit was fucking crazy. I'm from the Midwest so it's not surprising but it is disappointing.
      Oct 8
    • General Motors ganbadei
      GMIT is not even part of UAW AFAIK. UAW is mostly manufacturing. I’m a female asian engineer who likes dressing well (skirts, fitted, fashionable items), and guess what, my boss warned me that if he ever needs to send me to a plant, he’d have to put me into a jumpsuit. And he’s been with the company for many years, so I think he knows what he’s talking about.
      Oct 8
    • General Motors sBto05
      Yeah. Goes back to the corporate dress code of Dress Appropriately. I wear a polo and jeans most days but if I'm at the Renncen I need more businessy clothing and if I'm in a plant, I might need boots instead of sneakers.
      Oct 8
    • General Motors jPph07
      If you disagree with UAW then certainly you'd agree to give up the UAW benefits that bleed over to salaried employees. You think other companies $60 a month for health insurance? Or give you a week off for Christmas? Or a 4 day weekend for Easter? Or 20 vacation days a year? Or 8% 401k matching?

      You can't say f*ck the UAW and take a week off for Christmas.

      It's one thing to dislike the people who run the UAW... But gotta separate the poeople vs the policies.
      Oct 8
    • General Motors mLNW00
      Having spent 10 years in manufacturing, about 75% of the hourly would opt out of the union if they wouldn’t be blackballed by those running their local chapters. The other 25% are the pukes that desperately need the uaw protection to cover them and bail them out for their poor attitudes, lack of worth ethic and general disregard for anything other than themselves.
      Oct 10
  • Lockheed Martin Iusahjbbvc
    The real question, did your parents pay for your college, or did you pay for your own ?
    Oct 7 1
  • AT&T DDM2K
    I moved on her like a b-tch
    Oct 7 0

Salary
Comparison

    Real time salary information from verified employees