Okay, I am sure that there are tons of these. But I wanted to try and understand why Google is almost always considered to be better than Amazon, and Amazon is generally considered to be sucky. But looking at a Google offer and here are some things:
1. Google does not seem to pay more than Amazon. Even looking at online salary data, the numbers are similar for a given yoe.
2. One key complaint about Google is that getting promoted can be quite hard. My personal experience and also anecdotally based on observing people around me, promos at Amazon (at least up to SDE3) are quite predictable.
3. Team switching seems to be easier at Amazon. No 1 year requirement and I have seen people change teams within months. Also, Amazon has tons more tech projects and variety.
4. Vacation policy is better at Amazon. It’s 10 days in your first year and 15 days in your second. Plus 6 days PTO and 3 days sick leave. At Google, it’s 15 days first year and 21 days 3rd year onwards. No PTO and unlimited sick leave. Ignoring sick leave, seems like with Amazon you get 21 days year 2 onwards.
5. Most teams I have seen at Amazon have good WLB, move quickly and individuals can have huge impact. Glassdoor ratings for SDE is at 4.0/5.0. Google is 4.4/5.0. Better but not by much. At google, people seem to have a problem with the pace of things being slow.
So what gives? Why does Amazon get so much heat while google is seen as the best place to work? Does free food make so much of a difference? Or is there more to it?
Shitty culture where they PIP anyone
No perks...no food.
Shitty 401k...no bonus
Base cap so effectively even after a promo u don't see anything for 1-2 years.
5 or so holidays every year. I am sure u were at work this last Monday.
U only get 5% of stocks in first yr and 15% in 2nd and most leave by 2nd year.
Also Google can almost everytime beat Amazon comp even at a lower level.