MS 65 -> L6 SDM
YOE: over 15 years , a few being manager, topish performer today.
Family with small kid.
MS TC: ~ 330k assuming decent performance over the next 4 years (TC includes benefits as taken from the “modeler tool” )
At MS I am not doing anything “super” interesting.
Amzn: high 300s TC
Thoughts on switching ? Heard is all the horror stories but willing to take a chance and try / learn something new. Scared of not being able to interview my way back into MS (not great at leetcode)
Commute time will increase from 12 mins to 40 mins one way.
MS 65 -> L6 SDM
- Facebook move slowNot worth it. If it’s not 30%+ bump, don’t. Also when you evaluate Amazon TC against MSFT’s, substract at least 15k for the lack of ESPP, 401k, healthcare, fitness, and added parking. Substract another 30k for emotional loss, added commute time, and loss of family time. Go figure.
- Oh my God, youre going to triple your commute time for a tiny raise. Easy to get l66 as sdm and +100k more (at least) at ms. I have a few friends at Amazon, very hard to get promo, especially to l7+ and most leave before they even get their full initial package. Lots of Amazon folks telling you not to do it. I'd listen to them.
- Again, talking out your azz son. I've worked on firmware and device bring up for new devices both consumer and enterprise, the networking stack for windows, high availability streaming audio, react js web front ends and scalable backend for consumer services, service fabric architecture, and optimizing performance for windows and SQL. That's pretty much the full market and customer spectrum and the full technology spectrum as well.
- Please no more microsofties, we have our fair share. Isn’t there a Microsoft bonus that is designed to keep people from coming here?
- Someone I know just started working for AWS and he tells me the 12-13 hour days are killing him.