I am currently working in the US. Decided to move back to India and received a verbal offer from Amazon. They told me they will get back with the numbers next week. I have no clue on the salary structure in India for Amazon.
Highest Degree- MS
Current Role- Principal Engineer
Offered Position- SDE 2
How much should I negotiate for?
Current TC at a different company- $148k
I tried moving back but had to drop the temptation.
1. Principal Engineer in US to SDE-2 IN India would be a huge shocker.
2. Being a PE in any company would bring in authority but SDE-2 In India would be all about slogging for hours and politics
Now to your questions:
1. Expect base of around 26L
Bonus of 12L and 8L for 1st 2 years with total TC of around 42-45L
2. Forget about being promoted to L6 for at least 2-3 years
1. Join as SDE-2 Here and then move after an year. You will get to keep bonus and RSU after your move.
2. If you perform exceptionally well, get to L6 Before moving..
- Amazon mr3r6If you can wait a year to move back to India then follow this. You would keep your US stock grant when you move so you would get a decent salary for first 4 years. Hopefully you will get promoted to L6 before your initial grant expires. If you decide to join in US, check if team or org has presence in India. Transition would be easy, in that case.Jun 22, 2019 1
- You can get the stocks in use and then move. That way you have 110 stocks in india.
- If they say 110 stocks how much units do I get after taxes ? Is it flat 30% tax or more than that ?
I am not talking about the capital gains tax here. When they vest, do they vest all 110 and then you pay taxes for the profits you make or they withold some for taxes initially at the time of vesting.
- Yes, the numbers were a bit disappointing.
If I decide to stay back and work in Seattle I get $150K base, 110 Stocks Units and $130K sign on for 2 yrs. Stock vesting period is 5, 15, 40 and 40 which I think is always the case for anyone.
If I decide to move to India right away, I get 32 Lakhs base, 14 + 8 sign on and 35 stocks. So first year I make more and then it gradually decreases. I personally find it a bad deal compared to a friend of mine who moved from SFO Indeed’s office to Hyderabad office. He is making 58 lakhs. Another one to Atlassian makes 50 lakhs. For them I am just talking about base + yearly bonus. They have stocks which are not clearly defined.
I did not ask for numbers if I stay for a year and then move. So I need some insights here before I can talk about it. Some say I get to retain the sign on of the second year and Stocks if I move back after a year. So assuming a modest base after relocation, lets say 28-30 lakhs, my total compensation shoots to 65-70 lakhs for year 2 which is a lot. I am really doubtful about them allowing me to keep my second year sign on(which is $55K).
Any info here is appreciated