Have offers from both of them.
From work, manager, and team perspective Twilio is exciting but Amazon TC is 25% higher than Twilio and no more negotiation with Twilio. Don't know more details about work, manager, the team at Alexa yet.
Being early in the career, care more about learning opportunities.
Which one would you choose and why?
I have other competing offers (Msft, Didi, Salesforce, OCI) which are paying much higher than Twilio but considering factors shown above in the table, Twilio and Alexa are the top 2 picks. Others are in the next columns.
Amazon Seattle TC = (1.25) * Twilio Bay Area TC
Equity: Same amount, different vesting schedule
Twilio (0) vs Amazon (80k 1st year and 60k 2nd) paid monthly which is standard Amazon practice
Have offers from both of them.
- Amazon / Product AmAlexamore20% is big. And Amazon’s brand will get you a level upgrade in 1-2 years at Twilio and many mothers firms. I would have take twilio if it was pre-IPO. Alexa has great teams all over and so that shouldn’t be a problem.
- Lol. Typical SDM talk. This is what I have been hearing in amazon. SDMs in Amazon make it sound like only amazon is doing good work in the world. You won’t get any learning if you join any other company.
OP. My suggestion would to be to find more info on your team and ignore this managerial bs. All these product launches etc doesn’t matter if you get a bad manager.Nov 3, 2018 1
- Facebook / Eng gywtbamazon is already not that great and alexa sounds even worse
at twilio, you like the team, manager, and work. sounds like an easy choice
I don’t think 20% matters THAT much early in your career when you should be optimizing for learning
- Veritas, unfortunately that will be too much info, how about u tell me what org in alexa u have offer from and ill let u know if i know anything about it?. Also let me tell you this, go with amazon. Its worth the brand name. I was also hesitant in taking Amazon job coz of all the negativity around it. Its true there is a high turn over and still a day 1 culture so expect for lots of responsibility to ramp up pretty quickly, but that also means a lot of opportunities for progression, if u can stick it out and make it. Amazon has oncall so also u should be prepared to be paged at night. I got paged last noght at 3 am. But i will take my current job over any past job i have had without even thinking. I love amazon and plan to progress to PE someday.
- Twilio. Alexa is a bad org to go to. There are hiring every second person on this planet as engineer. Lot of policies, tech debt, and bad software engineering overall. Came from there, please don’t go.
- Normally I would always recommend starting with FANGG to get it on your resume and normally always take 25% salary bump. But man... Twillio is awesome. People there are great and the company is great
- @JNJ espp is the only component of compensation where Twilio wins rest all look same and Amazon wins.
E.g. If I start at $125 at Amazon, TC remains constant for 3 years, I will earn $125 * 3 = $375 in 3 years.
At Twilio if I get 100, 110, 125 respectively, I will earn $335 in 3 years.
- Thank you everyone for all the suggestions. I've decided to join Twilio 🙂.
Wish me luck.
- Twlllo anytime. With Amzn u are stuck with that comp for rest of ur life. Twillo has tons of growth and u will be getting refreshers and promotions.
- In terms of equity, TWLO will outperform AMZN as the rate of growth decreases for AMZN and stays constant or increases for TWLO. TWLO’s Flex will be a killer growth multiplier. AMZN cannot grow any faster. You might as well see what happens on Nov 6th before you make up your mind. Hope you have the number of shares locked in.
- What's your comp at Twilio and Amazon? Yoe? Level offered at both companies? (I work for AWS and my brother works for Twilio)