How much to spend on each? My daughter has three teachers who work with her at some point during the day and 6 teachers in the school. Should I get gifts for all? What is the expectation?
TOP 13 Comments
- I gave to 3, 2 main teachers and the principal. We did $150 gift certificate, chocolate box, and my kid’s handwritten notes. They are underpaid for what they do and I feel blessed to be able to trust them for my kid’s education. My kid loves the school and teachers and is always happy to go there.
- Microsoft GandalfeeStandard is $20-25 for variety of reasons. If it is much more, it could send a wrong signal or give pressure to the teachers. I am surprised at other comments. That is calling for trouble for not just you but for the community.
- How exactly are you pressuring them? What the fuck does "give pressure to the teachers" even mean? For that they probably use miralax.
Also, how much I gift should be up to me, not some penny pinching ass.
So 25 years we have them $15 to $20, and now they get $25, when tech salaries went up 5-7x. How is that fair?
- Microsoft LuvluvIt is not a bribe but they can feel a little pressure when your gift is $150. You could be calling for unfair treatment for your kids. Think about the other parents who can’t afford that much and what they would think. Not a good gesture.
This can easily go into gift competition and eventually spoil the teachers which had happened in LA and puts down parents and teachers. This is common sense. This is why many schools send letters to parents to not give gifts over $30 etc. I am surprised you don’t even know about this. Did you grow up in US?
- Doesn't matter where I grew up.
Most folks live in neighborhoods where the income is in a relatively narrow band. So the other parents can afford to give the same level as well.
Couple things for you to consider. It's for preschool teachers. Giving $100 or so per teacher as a sign of gratitude is not bad. They have to put up with your kids for the whole day. Let's hope that we can take care of our teachers so our kids grow up with better grammar than you.
Please don't me give shit about how you grew up overseas and how your system was better.
- I gave mine $150 each and they are very grateful. Some of them only make $15 an hour with 2 hr commute each way, it’s hard to survive. One is a single mom with 3 kids and she certainly appreciates the kind gesture.
Why would it call a trouble for community? I don’t get it, it’s not like we go around and brag about it.Dec 6, 20181