We recently bought a home in bay area and are planning to paint it but not sure about the costs. Its a 3 bedroom 2 bath 1200 sqft home. Any recommendations on contractors? How much does it cost? Any suggestions?
Few contractors quoted between $6000-9000. Is it really that expensive?
- I painted my entire 2600 sqft home myself and with MY wife. It was hard in the beginning. Get yourself the 6ft pole that will extend the roller brush and it will help finish the project faster. Painting was infact easier, it was the taping and prep work that was a pain.
- My mom had her houses painted in the bay. She used to buy the painters lunch and bring them water and snacks the whole time. Drove them home one time, and found out each of them had 3 much bigger more expensive houses than hers... And they showed up in painter clothing and pickup trucks but had porches at home. IMO DIY or home depotFeb 52
- This sounds about right if that includes trim and doors, and is done with good paint (which is quite expensive).
- Yes, masking and taping and covering all of your belongings adds up. If you’re doing ceiling, walls, trim and doors, all of that has to get done multiple times. I suck at paining, so I go work to make money to pay for it to be done for me. That said I did paint my garage, it took me a couple of days and way too much effort - I ended up buying a sprayer :-)
- Facebook tantan85It really depends on the conditions of your walls.
Do you have existing wallpaper that needs to be removed? Do you have uneven places that need filling? A lot of the walls in older houses are textured - do you plan to smooth them out? Are you including patching up baseboards? Also, ceilings?
Lots of questions to answer depending on the condition.
- Adobe gundaraajI got quote of $3500-$4000 from few contractors on yelp. 1670 Sq ft. Get reference via your agent and their contractor will do it for 2500$-$3000. I did that.
- Benjamin Moore's Aura is better than the top of the line paint from Sherwin. I tried both and the cleaning ability +coverage+color +finish on Benjamin was really good. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. It's just paint.
- Good quality DYI is not easy, you’ll wish you’d have paid someone. I do a lot of work myself, just because I don’t like dealing with strangers. Also, how do you fit 3bd/2bath in 1200 sqft?!