so I'm now on F1 and will graduate in May 2020 to start 2-3 years of OPT. I'm doing Masters. My understanding of H1B system is that holders of Masters or PhD have higher chances of being selected in the visa 'lottery' because they have a separate quota. Well, do offers from FANG / big companies increase these chances ? I've heard Google engineers on OPT for instance have about 99% chance of getting their H1B.
- Discover Financial Services qwerty-/:It’s a lottery , so there is a luck factor . Once your application is picked in the lottery then it has to be approved . During that time FAANG might help you. But in most cases they are approved as long as the job you will be performing is related to your education
- It’s lottery. Being at FANG or not doesn’t increase or decrease your chances of getting H-1B. If you get it, then FANG brand will help in easy approval, until you are working in the same field as your masters.
If you don’t get it, FANG will put you in a different country of your choice.
The source you shared is approvals or denials percentage. Not lottery percentage. Read it.
- Learn how H-1B works. After H-1B gets picked in lottery, there is phase 2, where they’ll review your application and either approve your H-1B or deny your H-1B and give you RFE, Request for Evidence for any questions they have. The data you shared is phase 2.
Being at FANG has nothing to do with your petition getting picked in lottery. It doesn’t increase or decrease your chances.
- Many, to start with, your Master’s or PhD course is different from the job you are doing, you either work for a consultancy firm that pays you less, and many more. And lately the denial rates increased. Those at FANG got RFEs and denials if their master’s or PhD is in different fields as their current work.Oct 18 1
- Reliable Software / Eng SugoidesuOnce you get selected being in faang will tremendously help you as they have better lawyers and infrastructure to handle h1b petitions and what not.
However the biggest advantage is that even if you fail to get a h1b during your stay at faang, you can still go back home and work in the same faang company. Not to mention if your visa expires some of these faang will also allow you to go to other developed nations like Canada UK etc to work there. Don't worry about too much about h1b.