How does companies like facebook/google/amazon decide which green card to apply Eb2/Eb3 ? I have not seen major differences for job descriptions between bachelors and masters for SWE.
TOP 17 Comments
- Microsoft JustickAlso, if you’re Indian forget green card. You’ll never get it. You’ll have limited employment options (major tech firms and relatively stable “startups” only, but mostly major tech firms), cross your fingers and hope your visa applications get renewed successfully every 2-3 years. Life goes on from one visa renewal to another. All major decisions (family, house etc.) will revolve around this.
- New ptxe01A masters degree from a US school and a few years of experience like 3+ should land you in EB2. You have to be adamant about it with any lawyer you will be working with. If you are going to apply for EB3 I’d recommend waiting till u can get to EB2.
I got my GC in 5 years in EB2. So it is not all gloom and doom.
But with all due respect please don’t put your life on hold on account of it. If you get a new opportunity go for it. If you want to buy a place please do it. Else while you wait it’ll make you bitter and find the process frustrating and unfair.
At the beginning I used to keep looking at trackitt and see all the other folks from other countries getting their GC in 2 years and get angry. Then I had an epiphany that i will get it some day and I being negative and woe is me attitude is not helping me or making my situation any better by making my process go any faster.
However please keep an eye on it. Sometimes news breaks on it much sooner than any lawyer can provide.
It helped me when I applied for PERM as I had an RFE to keep my anxiety in check.
All the very best!! It is a wild ride I hope you get through it.
- These laws are fickle. In the middle of my wait they changed the rules and made every one current. Now a lot of people were able to file 485 at the time and I was not. I did not have an approved 140. The thing is a few folks got through and got their GC in 2 years. I was so very pissed then. Hence it is not lightly that I say it is a wild ride.
- Companies can't decide. You need to satisfy the requirements for the category.
- If you are the equivalent of SDE1 or SDE2, it will most likely be EB3. The position GC is being filled for matters as much as your qualifications. The requirements for a position are determined by the least qualified person working in that position. So, if there's someone with a bachelor's and 2 years experience as an SDE2 on your team, that's the required qualification for SDE2 and your GC is filed under EB3.
- I seriously doubt that. Because what you are saying is every SDE 1 and SDE 2 in any company will be filed in EB3 which is certainly not true as far as I know. I personally know couple of friends in Amazon who were filed green card in EB2 with 1.5 years of exp and Masters. SDE 1Jun 21, 2018 0
- As I said, it depends on the least qualified person in the team. If everyone in the team has a masters, or bachelors with > 5 years experience when they became SDE2, it can be filed under EB2. I know this for sure because I went through the initial steps (PERM) very recently. In fact, an SDE2 in my team with MS in CS and close to 5 years experience had his GC filed in EB3.Jun 21, 2018 0