1. First and foremost, if you want to succeed in your career in a technical role, you are probably out of luck. People Managers also so-called Tech/Engineering managers is the only role one can succeed here.
Wayfair, calls itself a tech company but they have a tech career path defined less than an year ago.
So to all the computer science fanatics, it is rarely your skills/work is going to be noticed by the Gods managing you as they dont know what to gauge you on.
2. Technical skills is not what will make you move up here. Try to bounce an idea for tech improvements and wayfair veterans( veteran here means engineers and of course managers who have spent 100% of their 3-4 years career at wayfair and are now Senior Engineers and Senior Managers) will say this is not how you do things here at Wayfair. So instead of working on POC to set an example, you work on going above the management chain, with an hope that someone will understand.
3. Also the veterans I mentioned above are very sensitive people with huge ego, as they have not seen anyone question them before. If you ever get into a discussion on a technical topic, its becomes an argument and it will definitely come back in the calibrations meeting against your performance review. So good luck joining the line as others or fall by the side.
4. To succeed you have to be online on slack all the time and also be able to type really fast and reply on every alert which pops, as that is the only way you get noticed. If you have not attended a SEV/CRITICAL you do not exist for other groups so of course you cant progress.
5. Growing up the pay-scale is also a way to gauge success, but the amazing pay structure is unbeatable. If you joined the company an year or 2 ago and got good stocks which have doubled or even tripled for some people and say you get promoted by the relentless hard work and drinking through the fire hose, dont get to excited as the pay raise will be “WAYLOW”. You will be given a sheet with the vesting schedule of your previous stocks and your promotion stocks and base raise will be based on that. Its like some excel sheet with HR is spitting of number which has a fixed high limit of total comp and adjusts all the other variable to not exceed that. Its almost like someone controls your success and makes you feel that you dont deserve to make more money.
6. Did I mention that L6+ Directors job responsibility is also to defend BLIND posts.
They also ensure good talent won’t touch WF with a 10 foot pool, which is a good lesson for its dysfunctional management.