Just saw this news. I want to hear the voice from people who are working / worked at FB.
- I thought annual peer reviews were just a normal part of working in big tech? I’ve encountered them at literally every job I’ve had at any mid-large size company.
- Nordstrom / ProducttdGJ35Some clarity since the article is misleading.
- There is no real stack ranking at FB. Unlike Microsoft’s former system; there is no hard rankings curve which forces teams to have someone always at the bottom of the curve. The numbers on the article are meant to be high-level guidance.
- Peer reviews are common all over big tech. These are actually quite helpful, if written correctly. They also encourage people not to be jerks with their coworkers.
- The process at FB actually gives people with a “not so great” manager a fair chance; which is unlike MS. Peer reviews carry a lot of weight; and can outweigh a manager’s opinion.
- Microsoft Googler!Microsoft has a similar twice-yearly review system, requiring employees to get reviews from their peers in or out of their teams. Many folks get more than 5. I got about 10 for the past review. This is not a Facebook innovation. And stack ranking.. who said Microsoft abandoned the method? Join Microsoft and you will see :-)
- Cerner happy?May be I m naive, but I think most of companies have Stack Ranking as the Employee performance policy, but would like to know from others what they have at their company