Yep, another one of these posts.
Trying to decide between the two. I have offers from each, TC is roughly the same, both on infra teams.
I don't have an obvious winner yet, because:
- both potential managers seem like great folks to work for, very smart
- I've heard/read good things about the "engineering culture" at both shops
- I have acquaintances that are happy at each company
I'm particularly interested in:
- career growth
- being part of a smart, high-functioning team
- decent tech stack
- WLB (particularly w.r.t. on-call, I've been on too many crap on-call rotations)
- company's future prospects
Stripe seems to have a lot of ridiculously talented folks and a great culture, but the work at Lyft might be a touch more interesting? Thoughts?
Stripe, for its more ethical business model. Lyft relies on its network of drivers, but won’t classify them as employees or pay them enough. It has no incentive to do better here. Stripe’s success is directly tied to the success of the businesses on its platform. It has every incentive to innovate for them and a strong disincentive to do shady things like monetize their data.