I recently got an offer from Netflix.
TC: $380k (all but 5% is cash)
A bit about me,
4 YOE in a mix of software eng roles and data eng roles, with my most recent role being at Facebook - IC4 - TC: $190k (with good performance reviews)
I’m kind of floored that Netflix more than doubled my FB TC.
Am I jumping into a job that I’m unqualified for? Or does Netflix just pay insanely well?
- Uber jsburvj385Holy crud. This is an amazing offer for 5 yoe. You are in the top 0.0001 % of people at your level. Congrats
- Netflix wat4urSame here: no coding questions during the interviews, no white boarding. All high level questions and questions about past experience. For example, “tell us about a time you improved performance. What was your approach, how did you implement the changes, and what was the result?” I also got questions such as “tell me about a recent disagreement you had with a colleague” obviously meant to weed out “brilliant jerks”. I had also never heard of leetcode before blind.
Netflix wants people who can think for themselves and work well with others.
It is also worth mentioning that you interview for a specific team at Netflix. Each team has their own interviewing style. Your interview experience won’t be the same as mine.Jun 14, 2018 1
- Netflix lukecageWe pay insanely well, no way to know if you are in over your head. At least you'll get 4 months of that in severance if it doesn't work out.
- Netflix GYjk06Yes but it’s a bit cheeky in how it’s handled. The intention is to be true to the culture’s thoughts on comp and the Freedom & Responsibility philosophy.
Netflix gives a stipend to cover benefits so that employees become aware of how much it would cost the company if they hid the amount from you like other companies. If you want to buy benefits beyond the stipend amount, it comes out of your salary.
Same sort of deal with the tech grab cabinets. “Free” iPhone cables and chargers and stuff, but everything displays the price tag so employees know how much it costs.
Jun 2, 2018 3
- Dang dude, congrats. Work your butt off and crush it.
I was going to say that your FB comp sounds low for E4 but I guess from other comments and the being downleveles to E3, Data Engineers at IC4 are paid less than E4?
- Netflix VsidI wouldn’t recommend a DE role here if you want to be an SWE but congrats on the offer