Have you considered the scenario where you have an anchor baby and in 20 years, they take away the Family GC sponsorship? And your kid will be in US and you, elsewhere? What goes around comes around?
TOP 21 Comments
- IBM / EngpussylickNo Kids for me. Can't afford it. It's so difficult to raise a human baby. I think its time for humanity to become extinct. Who the fuck would evolve in such a way that it takes 17 years to raise a baby? We deserve to be extinct. We evolved so bad that we created a system that's made it difficult to raise our own species. What a clueless species we are. Let it end with us.
- Who cares? The trick is to maximize money making potential here. US is the best for money making, but not the best place for your life to happen. Work here for 10 years is more than enough for retirement elsewhere. I'm already past that point. There are plenty of quality countries I could immigrate to if needed that have lower cost of living with better social safety nets. Using my US savings there would be a pretty comfy life. I don't want to pull the plug yet because the money is so darn good. Every additional year gives a great financial cushion. So no matter how this plays out, H1B has worked out brilliantly for me!
Kids have the choice to live wherever they want as well. Win-win for both generations.
- which other quality country will offer you citizenship to retire when your 50? everyone wants young people. so you'll have to go back to your mother country only, not another quality country.
the whole point of having kids for most Asian parents is for their kids to be around them in their old age, not to let them have the choice to live wherever they want. and the kids will surely choose to live in the US for the same reasons you mentioned, opportunity and financial cushion. so you'll be far apart from your kids in old age unless Family GC is still around or miraculously EB GC reduce in wait time. if that's fine by you, great! but I don't think most people go into parenting with that mindset.
- I’m a us citizen and planning to live my life after 60 in India. I don’t see these Indians will stay back here till then.
- Zillow Group / EnganKW36So what? I’ll move back to my country with free healthcare, affordable universities, universal welfare, and great weather. Then my kids can decide if they want to work/live in either place.
Almost all countries have automatic citizenship for children. So it’s not like your child would only be a US citizen.