I have a California license and got a speeding ticket in Idaho. Has anyone been in a similar situation before? What are my options other than just pay the fine and take points on my license as this will shoot up my insurance. It was a basic infraction was driving 78 in 65.
TOP 27 Comments
- Intel BenzyYup, find a traffic lawyer in that Idaho municipality. A good place to look is Yelp in that city. Many of them will do a free initial phone consult. Got a bus lane ticket in NYC a few years back. Found a great lawyer in NYC that did a free consult. He said it wasn't a moving violation and so no points or infraction would be reported to the CA DMV. He said he could probably win the ticket in court but it was cheaper to just pay the ticket rather than his $300 or so fee. Lawyer could also advise you if traffic school is an option.Jun 2 0
- Pay up. But opt for traffic school. Find one online in Idaho and keep the point of your record
- Basic infraction won’t bump your insurance. Most companies increase rates at 3-4 points and 78 in a 65 is less than that. You should see if they have a waiver for a first time offender, possible online course or affidavit that your record has been clean the last three years and you will accept a one year driving probation and fine in lieu of the ticket like Washington has.
- Another question I have is that Idaho has a different point system. It gives 3 points for the smallest of infractions. While in California it is 1 point. I hope when Idaho report the incident. It just reports the speeding infraction and then Cali applies it's own points that is 1 and not 3.
- Just pay the ticket and relax. Nothing else to do. I was in a similar situation, nothing happened
- New / Finance PMP232Just take it as a lesson. Decisions have consequences. And don’t ever speed. You’ll be good!