Visa question : Job Change

Salesforce / Eng Indy_dev
Jun 29, 2018 8 Comments

My H1B expires by Jan 2020 and also that’s the end my 6 year h1b tenure. My GC process just got started and my PERM is about to get approved. Now how safe is to switch job before I get I-140? Can I even do it? If I can, should my new company help me get my I-140 approved before end of 6 years?

Or should I hold on to my current job till I get my 140 approved?

Advice/Suggestions please?


Want to comment? LOG IN or SIGN UP
TOP 8 Comments
  • Intel


    Hold on until your I-140 is approved. If you switch now, your new employer will have to do everything all over again and has to get i-140 approved before 2020.. if that gets delayed for various reasons, you will not be able to extend beyond 2020
    Jun 29, 2018 0
  • VMware / Eng vm12
    I would suggest worry about immigration after having offers
    Jun 29, 2018 0
  • Salesforce Pink eye
    Get you I140 approved, stay for 6 months and then move. Now, unless fraud, USCIS or company can not cancel your I140. It stays live forever and can be used to extend or transfer H1B beyond 6yrs until you get your GC in 150 yrs.( Am not kidding lookup
    Jun 29, 2018 1
    • Deutsche Bank NyGy
      This is 100% correct afaik
      Jun 30, 2018
  • VMware / Eng vm12
    Of course you can switch. However, If your PERM is about to get approved and you can file I 140 in premium then I have the new company wait till you get i140 approved.
    Do you already have offers?
    Jun 29, 2018 1
    • Salesforce / Eng Indy_dev
      No. I do not have any offers yet.
      Jun 29, 2018
  • Autodesk wow
    I suggest you get your I-140 and jump.
    Usually, companies like yours won’t revoke I-140 even if you quit before 6 month from its approval. Don’t burn bridges when you quit. 😊
    Jun 30, 2018 0
  • Salesforce / Eng Indy_dev
    Thanks for all your suggestions
    Jun 30, 2018 0


    Real time salary information from verified employees