Curious to see how many people actually tip and how much.
- Flexport tkhostNo! Please don’t encourage the game theoretic social cancer that is tipping on Uber. If you’re going to tip, take it to Lyft!
- I am against the culture of tipping, but I still tip anyway because I know service workers are underpaid and I know Uber drivers aren't paid for driving from their current location to your pickup location, so I tip based on the time/distance they had to drive. Then I apply a modifier based on their level of service.
- So you want them to change the tipping culture by charging you more but you refuse to tip. Explain to me how this encourages them to change the tipping culture? You act like you are principled by wanting workers to be paid fairly but you want no part of voluntary tipping to make sure they’re paid fairly.
That’s hypocritical. You’re just being cheap. End of story. The rest of the world figured this out through government regulation. You think that’s going to actually happen here? Just what country do you think you’re living in?
If you’re consistent, you’d tip until a time when the tipping culture changes. Otherwise you’re just talking big and being cheap.
- New /tUmm not tipping is assholish... most blinders make ridiculous TC and cheaping out on 5-10 bucks is just stupid
- EA YesSir01The tipping culture in US is insane. The barber (who actually owns the barbershop) expects a tip. Dude, you are the f...ing owner :)). A guy, spends 1min making a latte, expects a $1-2 tip. What?
I was in France a while ago, ate at a restaurant, tried giving a tip the waiter looked at me like I was mad. He was like "Sir, I don't need a tip, I'm paid well".
- Daimler ForkBombTotally agree, it's basically like saying just because you're rich you should be pay for my food LOL
I am European and I hate the tipping culture and the tax being added later. WTF is this nonsense? The tax is predictable and mandatory, just include it in the prices right away. If you do a good job and are nice to me, I'll tip you. If you don't even bother asking to help with my luggage and speak on the phone the whole time, where's the service to be incentivized with my tip? Exactly.
- Microsoft bKFl33Sooo, Microsoft employees are largely underpaid. Getting on par with Google isn't the reality, so should we build tipping into our products then? When booting Windows show a photo of Joe, text blurb with his story and encourage to tip. Options are: $10, $20 and $50. "no tip" option is in tiny miniscule font same color as background in the opposite corner of the screenApr 6 35
- Yahoo jacksonConsidering how much money most people on here are making, the fact that most of you don’t tip is fucking disgusting. I don’t care if it’s Uber. It’s a sign of poor character, if I ever saw one.
- Unity / Biz Dev frdiemrcrySounds like someone drives for uber. Even if not, tipping is voluntary and should not be mandatory. If any service worker feels less than satisfied with pay, the blame cannot go to the customers but to the employers. I love the european culture of tipping with no added pressure. Asian countries don't tip. I think US system is pretty terrible since business owners have gamed the system to exploit employees with less pay and point the finger at their patrons for creating the unfairness.
- Ironically, more money does not make people more generous.
Money just reveals who someone really is, money just makes someone more of a what they already are.
If someone is greedy, more money makes them more greedy and if someone is generous, more money makes them more generous.
- Oh you people with shitty life and calling shitty culture need to get your shit together and sort out your life instead of bashing the country which provides you bread and butter. @Oceanx Surely the culture is mixed but that is the US Culture and so is tipping. I find people hypocritical when they left their roots for whatever reasons and trying to change here.
- Oracle TKvy28People on this site that don't tip are the lowest form of society. These people make a fraction of what you pitiful pricks make
- New zfGE82When Uber first came out they paid a higher percentage to the driver. Over time they’ve cut and cut the driver’s rates. Not saying the drivers have to drive if they don’t like the rates, but Uber has also added the ability to tip as a way for drivers who go the “extra mile” to be rewarded by their riders.
Personally if the driver keeps a good conversation going (assuming I want to talk) and they help me with bags etc, they get good ratings and a tip. If they drive like a madman, don’t say a word, and don’t help with bags... not so much.
- this discussion is best articulated in the opening scene of the movie Reservoir dogs. some solid arguments made in favor of not tipping. now that was in the restaurant industry where theres an understanding that because of cultural norms the meal price would be subsidized and hence the customer should pay tips. most restaurants are not required to pay minimum wage to servers since tips are supposed to cover the gap between their pay and the minimum wage.
in case of uber, by agreeing to pay tips what you as a consumer would be doing is creating a culture of covering the billions of dollar of losses that these companies make. the algorithm that runs the pricing at uber would slowly buy surely pay the driver less ( from uber ) if uber deemed that they make a healthy buck from the tips.
not to mention uber is going to use the tips you pay towards reporting their gross revenue ( increasing their market cap), which is also unfair. when you leave cash at the table at a restaurant for the waiter, that does not go towards the market cap of the restaurant.
my 2 cents.
- My driver did not pick up another Uber Pool passenger because he knew I was on the way to an on-site interview. I gave him a fat tip after the ride.
- Most of the companies just give a $50 visa gift card if you go for an on-site interview in the same location and $100 if you go in a different location, just to cover the incidental stuff like gas, food and taxi.
So this person might be trying to save from that.
I am not saying that it is a bad thing, I don’t judge, it’s up-to the individual how they choose to spend their money.
- Google PazziThis (t)ripping culture is ridiculous. All companies that employ full-time or near full-time contractors should compensate well or give some stock for every month of service. Making consumers feel guilty to tip is a bad business model.
- Coupa / Cust. Srv. a3j38ndjYou guys make me sick. I guess most of you have never had to work in a customer service or retail environment. Spend some time in their shoes and you would realize how much of a difference a few extra bucks can make when you are dealing with entitled idiocy all day.
I've worked retail and food service, I will never tip less than 15% unless they treat me horribly.
- You guys are just fuckin accustomed to this tippin culture and you never even thought about why it even started and if it should continue. Rethink about it. Thats how you advance. Don’t just embrace the past because you’ve been living it that way.
You know when you stop growing? You stop growing when you don’t get out of your comfort zone snd think about something out side a box. You always try to do this at work but why wont you face it in your reality? Seriously, just think about it. If you’re just doing it because you were told to when you were born and raised in the us, it may need to be re-evaluated. Cant you think on your own? Jeez man
Some us restaurants are also starting to adopt no tipping policy and instead slightly increase prices in general to provide competitive payroll for servers. Think about why they would do that? Open your eyesApr 7 12
- Evernote ji32k7au4I still tip waiters and waitresses. I just don’t always think it’s worth tipping an uber driver. What customer service are they bringing me? If they make me feel comfortable I’m more than willing to tip but don’t feel entitled that you deserve it because you go through shit.
Waiters and waitresses deal with customers and they can’t do much about it since it’s their job and not their restaurant. I had a lyft driver kick me out cuz he thought I might vomit in his car.
- New timdcookYou guys need to tip... some of these folks have full families to support... especially you 6 digit earners... just in case karma gets you guys
- IBM / Eng LeetcodeWhen Uber and Lyft came out, tipping was discouraged and purposely not a feature.
- I hate tipping. Why should I give away money to someone for doing their job? I just don't care this minimum wage argument. People who care about it should go to court or govt and get minimum wage increased; don't MAKE people tip by DEFAULT!
- I'm disgusted in reading comments by people that come into our country, make great livings and then complain about tipping. These are service industry jobs you all complain about. Go start your own company, employ low skilled workers and pay them the same money you're making in your comfy high paid jobs.
When did our population begin to birth all the little commies?
- Wealth redistribution is when people take from you against your will. Tipping is a choice in return for good service.
Google is full of overpaid little facists that want to make their 6 figure salaries, preach higher taxes, silence those whose opinions differ, then gripe about acknowledging good service with a tip.
- Apparently based on what you guys say, tipping is a must and not a choice cause if I don't I'd be an asshole. I'm against communism and hence against tipping. If you can't understand that you're the type of old conservative who is brainwashed against your own interests. You deserve to be poor.
- The company that hires service worker owns the burden of just/fair compensation. Using that as an argument for why I am required to do something is silly. If all you did was meet the minimum then you should get fairly compensated by your company, you want to exceed minimums then I will tip. I’ve had very few ride share operators exceed minimum.
- Fuck no. Hate the stupid tipping culture. The whole reason I started using uber/lyft was because I didn’t have to tip. In fact the companies /drivers should be ashamed to ask extra money from customers for the basic work they are supposed to do.
- New / IT jsmashingDamn ur trash-tier, imagine having to slave away for 100 dollars a day before expenses. You're at Microsoft making what?150k? And the drivers don't deserve to make a little extra for, a lack of a better word, being your personal driving servant? YOU should be ashamed of yourself for your lack of morality and gross inhumanity, I hope one day you'll find yourself in their shoes, making 2k a month, thinking back on this statement.
- That is not my problem. If you ask me to donate to charity, that’s a whole different thing, because I can. Tipping is stupid, because greedy businesses can get away putting the burden on the customer. Salary is a part of running business, and businesses should be held accountable for paying their employees well. Me making good money has nothing to do with it. Not every person that uses uber makes good money, so putting it on the customer to pay business’s employees is just plain stupid.Apr 9 9
- Facebook / QA mind1overmoreI’m not the reason of any particular Uber driver not being able to learn something else except car driving and earn more money. And a lot of drivers are doing this just because they don’t want to be at work all day 5 days a week. We get what we deserve. Nobody tips me as a QA for a perfect solid bug reported, you know.
And just for the record, I do tip my Uber driver, but to get more than 10% it has to be an excellent trip (no taking to me, no shitty music, decent car, clever usage of navigator and safe, reasonably quick driving).Apr 9 2
- If I vomit in the back of the car which makes the car smell and needs effort to clean up by the driver, sure, I tip as a way to compensate for my mess. But the entire American tipping non sense like most things in US is based on corporate greed and originally started as sort of bribes. So no.
- Indeed ind00dI tip. I am actually pretty cheap and have considered not tipping but I've realized that I have a great job and many of these people that do Uber or Lyft are in between jobs or just trying to survive.
- InVision trex0I tip when I feel like I’m getting an excellent value. For example, if I’m getting an Uber pool and that driver is driving me alone across the bay bridge for $12, then I most certainly tip. When it’s surge though, I will never tip.
$1-2 means nothing to us, but it’s a lot to a person who is driving.
- WePay OB40I hate to be always obligated to tip. I'd like to have a clear straightforward contract with the amount I need to pay for the good service. This should form the market and prices should be approximately the same but more consistent on average. Effectively in many places I am told a price but the worker expects really 15-20% more. I think this is is terrible customer experience. Tips are fine as soon as the expectation is to pay $0 if service is executed just OK
- Most of the one who don’t tip are Indians. I usually tip 20%, though I am an Indian myself. Indians in general are miser and don’t have basic courtesy.
Flagged by the community.
- New / IT LkXX84My parents taught "sharing is caring". It's amazing how a little extra from a few individuals can mean the difference between someone paying their rent or buying their kid new shoes (or used!).
Put yourself in their shoes and think about them as humans. Show your gratitude, of having the aptitude to make six figures (or less!).
- Facebook / Eng brainlessI do not believe that it is specific to Indians to tip or not tip the drivers. There is no authentic data to prove it. People make these data-less arguments all the time.
Also, if tipping is really that important, why not add it as part of the mandatory fare. Force everyone to pay 20% tip, but let them know in advance. I don’t want to book a $15 ride and end up paying $18. Call it a $18 ride right from the beginning.Apr 9 5
- DataVisor MeowFantuWhat data do you have to support your statement that Indians are misers (of course, except for you) ? Or, is it just your mindset about your fellow Indians?? And how do you know except Indians everyone else tips generously?? And about tipping itself, it would be great right, if we all were tipped everyday for doing our job everyday at office ?? Uber driving is a job. Just like if we excelled in our jobs we get hikes or bonus, I believe we should tip if they did something more than just driving, like have a good conversation, being friendly or helping in any other means in situations.. tipping makes sense in restaurants but you cannot go tipping for every service that you get everyday. Do you tip your car mechanic, mail man, Gardner, person who helps you with checkin at airport, etc, answer is no, because they are doing their job, and it's no different from driving an Uber. So Indians are not misers, they are practical.Apr 14 0
- Dating someone who works in a job where tips make up an appreciable amount of their income goes a long way in making you appreciate how much of a difference tip make to people.
I always tip about 25%. Always, on everything, unless the service has been diabolical. Those extra five dollars are worth much more to someone who actually needs them than they are worth to me.
- Or maybe the employers should pay them living wages and present the true cost upfront to the customers, instead of pushing off the responsibility onto them and leaving the employee at their mercy. Tipping, like in rest of the world, should be for exceptional service. Not a substitute for wages.Apr 7 8
- Google d8kAneHoly goddamn just pay the drivers a proper wage.
Would you like it if you freelanced on a coding project and 15% of your pay was whether or not the client was feeling generous at the moment? There's also some damming race/gender/age gaps in who gets tipped too which essentially amounts to wage discrimination in all but name.
It's one of those vestigial cultural practices that really serve no purpose nowadays.
- Houzz pazT73moreNo wonder why everyone hates people working in tech. Make the most money but are the cheapest people in the world. Tip your drivers or don’t use the service. Not tipping to “stick it to the man” or going against the US tipping policy is such a selfish reason not to tip. Failing to tip a service provider in no way incentivizes a company to increase pay to those employees smh...
- VMware satyaaWhy can’t uber make sure that they pay the drivers fairly?
If they are able to pay top $$$ to their software developers, why aren’t they attaching the same importance to the drivers who are also a important part of their ecosystem?
The customer can then tip as he wishes when the service is good.
- Is this couple dollars going to break anyone? And would the person receiving it appreciate it? No and yes
Flagged by the community.
- No I'm serious. Once taking my 2 year old to the airport for a trip to China. The Uber/Lyft driver not only helped with the luggage, but even played kids music in Chinese in the car (note he isn't Chinese but learned that we were going to China). I gave $10 trip for a $55 ride.
- Intel RiGD34For a bunch of cry babies who like to brag about how much money they make I am disgusted for you that you don’t think your rideshare driver deserves a good tip.
- I know a shit ton of y’all on here are engineers making $100k+ right out of college. If you don’t tip even a little bit, you have no empathy for people who work to make all the things you enjoy possible (waiters/drivers/maids/cooks). Most of all..... YA CHEAP AF!!!
- Hahaha. Pretty sure I wasted a tiny fraction of the time you did obsessively replying to comments on this thread, so you're probably the one popping blood vessels trying to "troll" internet strangers. Strongly supports my theory that you're a smelly awkwardly shaped kid who got bullied in middle school
- Not coming from a developing country, already well developed but I want the best for all.
Was uber the first culture? Uber is a well advanced service man. Everyone knows that uber first insisted no tipping policy. Sometimes you gotta let it go, the same old culture might not be the answer after all, think about again, always rethink about it, thats how you advance yourself.
And if you really believe in this weird culture, then you all start tipping prime drivers, usps drivers, and every goddamn service men out there. ;)
- Google come2daddyI took a complimentary shuttle from Hotel to Airport . Once I reached the destination, the driver explicitly asked me to tip. “Are you forgetting something? You should tip.”
I said I am going back and have finished all the cash. His response was “Today has been a really light day. Can you please tip in any currency?” I reached out to my backpack and found 2SGD and 10 HKD which I gave him.
If any capitalist considers this tipping, they must go for mental checkup. This is clear cut begging.
The theory of supply and demand does not work as there is minimum wage. So the economy is not pure capitalist. Only question is how greedy the corporate world is.
Coming back to Uber, I tip only when the car is super clean and the guy tries to lift and put my luggage in the car. Absolutely no tip for dirty cars, Rash driving and speaking on phone.
- Amazon superbabeTipping is a horrible system. Don’t tip as a protest to tipping culture. Switch to the metric system. End Daylights Savings Time.
- Microsoft summIf you were really concerned about helping people out of the tipping system shithole you would be tipping in cash to not let their income take a hit, you would report $0 tip on apps and you would, at the very least, complain, make your voice heard about this situation.
But you don't and you won't, you are all just cheap and are trying to justify your cheapness.
- BigCommerce / Other SsMX84ALWAYS. And I tell them I'm doing it and giving them five stars and ask them to give me 5 stars.
- Stats don't lie. It's pretty clear that tipping culture sucks and given a choice, people are not inclinded towards tipping. Mostly people tip just bcoz it has been a custom so far.
Flagged by the community.
- I dislike tipping culture. I had three Uber rides in a short period of time. Given the situation I was in and things going on my mind I didn't open the Uber app after each ride to rate the driver and give a tip. Later in the evening when I had free time and I looked at it, I gave them my standard around 8-10% tip and a 5 start rating. However I was surprised to see my own rating had dropped from 4.94 to 4.8 which indicates some or all of them gave me less rating for not tipping them immediately. Sitting quietly and being respectful doesn't give you anything. Sad.
- Cadence tigerkI have some friends driving uber. They say about 30% of the riders will tip. Some riders looks very poor but still tip, but most high earning immigrants dont tip a dime.