Screw blind. Why do I even come here?
- No products in the pipeline
- Google X has yet to launch anything besides weather balloons
- Anything outside Google ads and apps is a failure (20 and 10 years old)
- 90% of Alphabet’s revenue still comes from adwords which they built with 5 people but somehow employ 50,000 people
- CEO is weak and lets protestors boss him around
- Corporate culture taken over by SJWs
- Microsoft / EngDr. 136th option. OP is a moron for thinking one of the biggest, best, most influential companies in the world is "dead".
Screw blind. Why do I even come here?
- OP, no one here will spend time to convince "new"
You are calling Google dead, and haven't stated what have you done so incredibly?
That Google may have created a company with 5 people demonstrates the strength of it's base. If you have seen the numerous polls here, Google is favorite as a top place to work and always listed as Tier 1 tech company.
- Youtube. Waymo. Assistant. Verily. Photos. Pixel & Home. List goes on and on.
What newbies like you don't understand is that revenue is ads but has over 23% yoy growth rate due to growth in rest of Google properties like YouTube, maps, search, Android and what not.
- Agree that search is a huge product. But Google was a flurry of innovation in it's first decade, and that has stopped. Growth by polishing the old products and acquisitions here and there. It's kind of like Microsoft with Windows. That huge Cash cow funded lots of terrible bets and allowed the company to become mediocre.
- Amazon gnVV23To be fair ... while Amazon generates a lot of new services every year, downside is that it generates a culture where speed is valued over code quality and where incremental improvements on existing stuff is severely undervalued compared to new stuff. Both are bad things and will impact Amazon in long run.
Also much of what “cloud” technology was originally popularized at google ... we just run it in cloud and make money ... big table, TF, K8s ... list is big.
- There are different ways to make money. Google believes in creating free to use products that attract billions of users each, and in turn, it brings people and their data into it's ecosystem. It then uses this data to deliver targeted ads with a 23%+ yoy revenue growth. These are ridiculously large numbers.
OP, who cares if they are acquired or copied if they are insanely successful? It takes a lot of engineering to scale a website such as YouTube.
I have a feeling you aren't an experienced software engineer. YouTube gets hundreds of hours of video uploaded every minute. It takes a gigantic engineering effort to build systems to process, store and serve this much traffic. Dismissing this as "acquired" seems pretty naive tbh.Jan 106
- @ovBk62 its not about effort. Printing the yellow pages took a lot of effort, but they just assumed people would need the yellow pages forever. By the time yellowpages.com was around Yelp had already wrecked them. Like another poster said, no successful organic products in 10-15 years. And now a leadership crisis. It’s the beginning of the end.
- Google hasn't shipped a successful organic product in about 15 years. They are essentially Microsoft. Google+ was their Vista. The old cash cows continue to fund failed experiments and free meals.
- Why do people keep naming google assistant. Just because you’re too socially awkward to call a restaurant doesnt mean the whole world is. You are the next sun microsystems - a bunch of engineers who have no fucking clue what people want and think everyone is as autistic as you areJan 113
- OpenTable MeliodasGoogle is the new Bell Labs funded by an advertising monopoly. Monopolies don’t have to act rational.
- Got google offer then reject them. They cannot even match a small company offer. Asking director to trash on me. I am not new grad. Who cares brand name. I go with the TC.
- I have 2 years experience. I asked if I can go l4. Then the hr said she set up a meeting for me with director. The director in the meeting just said my experience does not worth, and their employee are so much better. He said if they gave me 4 they don’t think I can perform that level. Then it is the HR turn to trash you that you only worth that lowball offer. Google is so much better than that small company. So here she trash the other company not only me. It is a very bad experience. Later I talk with my friend in google then know that that director job is to persuade candidates like me. Then it sounds to me the director job in google is not fun either.
- Eventually they will put google brain inside a Boston dynamics robot and sell it to the military
- They’ve been recruiting me HARD the last 3 years. The recruiter even sent me a $200 bottle of scotch for Christmas. But between the shitty culture, the interesting projects that fail to launch, & the otherwise derivative work they do...I just can’t bother to go through their shitty interview process.
- Amazon kOWu38I agree with OP, google is just resting on its laurels. its domination in search, YouTube and ads has kept google relevant and will delay their demise..the fact that there are lot more YouTube ads(I know lot of people are watching YouTube a lot but the video viewed per ad has increased exponentially)today than a few years ago shows that they are just struggling to find new avenues of revenue..they are bunch of cool kids building cool products that they don’t care if someone will ever use..I understand how it is hard to imagine that the coolest guy in high school today will be flipping burgers at McDonalds at 30..but yeah I can say that Google will be dead soon if It stays the course..
- I was astonished at how every single "far out" project was cancelled (glass, robots, barge, modular phone, fiber) or iced (Loon) or sucks (watches, cloud) in the past 5 years and the stock market loves it that all of Google's failed innovations are flops! CEO is very weak and tries to hide all his evil decisions from employees ...memegen internally is like a morgue - no longer funny or biting, mostly about the food, all employees with vision and a conscience have left ....
- I’m surprised no one mentioned Google Cloud Platform. Google is coming in late to the game, but if they can figure it out they are in a great position to be the dominant cloud offering. Even if they don’t figure it out it’ll continue to be a growing revenue source for them since no one will want to be locked in to just AMZN or MSFT
- Indeed cyhy46My working theory is that at some point in the past five years, Google accidentally developed a superintelligent AI and now the company's twin purposes are to hide the existence of this AI while giving it more and more data so that it can gain enough power to enslave humanity. This explains why none of their employees appear to actually work, and all their customer support is very obviously automated.
- From my perspective GCP is growing. Our usage of it has grown a lot, which isn’t the case for AWS
- Their most impactful products are Maps, DoubleClick, YouTube, Docs, and Android, all developed in-house, right? Right? And Hangouts and Google+ rock!