I’ve an offer for SA with the Alexa group… I am from a dev background but would like to transition into a PM type role eventually and see SA role as a stepping stone …
Some questions :
1. How are Solution Architects viewed within the company? I’d like to stay as technical as possible , based on how the role was described to me it sounds like I could choose to stay as technical as I want to … Is this true in practice?
2. Is transitioning to PM a realistic path(assuming I pick up the relevant skillets)… I don’t have an MBA
3. How easy is it to change teams within Amazon? Is there a time limit in terms of how long one needs to be in a role before changing teams?
4. The AVS group seems to be growing rapidly… Is this a good group to join in terms of future potential…
5. How quickly does Amazon begin PERM processing after joining?
Alexa SAs are less hands on from what I can see. You either help partners build 'skills' for Alexa (ASK), or you help partners build and integrate Alexa into their hardware. (AVS). If I have to pick one I would pick AVS or smart home because at least you would learn more and do more technical things. But you probably won't be coding if that's what you are looking to do. You really should be a developer if that's what you want to do. SA roles are more about working with partners on helping them to build what they need to build with the latest product offerings from your group available.