Why police officers make more than FANG software engineers?Mar 8
Check out police officer TCs in Mountain View:
That's more than Google and FB engineers. Seems very unfair.
- With these TCs police jobs are almost as competitive as FANG jobs.
- In real world shooting with police happens very rarely, unlike what you see in movies. To put things in perspective: on the job fatality rates for police officer is 1/10th that of loggers, 1/4th that of roofers and 70% less than that of taxi drivers. The risk for police offices is highly overblown.Mar 83
- NASDAQ / EngEtdw66Look at the breakdown of their pay... first of all most have an insane split of regular and overtime. That means they are working likely more than the average techie at the same pay. Plus their benefits are included there so it’s not even all cash com’p. And what percentile would even hit 200k?
- LinkedIn RandomSwePolice officers are nothing but overpaid local bullies and goons with a badge that magically makes them official and legal. Think about it - without that badge, almost everything they do would be a crime.
Also they have unions which means they can extort high salaries and get them.
- Another reason why their salary is so high is because police departments don't sponsor H1B, which drives the wage lower. Those code monkeys who complain about immigrants and low pay should join the police force.
- I would rather pay cops well so we don’t end up with only the idiots taking cop jobs
- Only in Murika.... pay for teachers responsible for shaping the future of the country is a tenth of that of pay for cops responsible for ensuring profits for privatized jails by filling them with drug addicts and mentally sick. Huge misalignment of incentives. Have you heard any public official critique this bizarre disparity ?
- Facebook / Engfb2017moreHow do they interview? Do they test shooting skills? How to test their courage and morality?
I think it's fair to pay them high. But we also need it to be fair to have the right people.
- I respect all POVs in this thread. I do think that this is unfair and my only reason is that in a way, it discourages education.
If I were to tell my kids that getting an ivy league PhD will pay you the same as these police officers. I think that's a bit discouraging.
Everyone works hard in their own way - even the chef in your free food facebook/Google cafeteria works hard. But that's not a good enough reason to level compensation like that.
Recently there was an article about 3 nurses making over 300k in bay area, and apparently that was a big deal? They are saving lives too!
I think compensation should be leveled around input / output basis. If someone has worked their butt off (ex. high school GPA -> ivy league school -> top tech company) then that reward should be higher. Also with doctors, they spend so much time in school and when they come out and make good money, it's justified.
Bottom line - my opinion is that these police salaries are unfair.
- I do not respect your opinion. It is stupid. If you can't raise your children properly, that's your problem. No reasonable person would get discouraged by a cop making this much money. If you don't mind being bored 99% of the time and getting shot at thebother 1%, go be a cop and make that much money. If that doesn't sound good to you, do something else.