I am in the process of getting an offer to work with Amazon on their AWS team. I don't have prior experience in cloud but I am recently AWS solution architect certified. I have 4 years experience in network engineering. My question is, how much should I expect to be offered salary wise. They asked me how much I expect to be paid but since I am a noobie at negotiating I said 100k (I live in VA, so that's usually a good number) but after reading how much you guys make I feel like I threw myself under the bus..... what's your take on this
TOP 17 Comments
- Adobe warabiNext time, never give a number, even when they press you. Just say "I don't have a number in mind." "Whatever is competitive." etc. Then they might test you with a number or range. I would still avoid agreeing or confirming a number. "I'm sure you know best." lol "I care most about team fit." "Please get me an official offer and we'll go from there." Once you get the offer: "Please give me time to go over this/discuss with my family/etc. I'll get back to you most likely by tomorrow." Then send email saying the things you want and that it'd make your decision much easier and you'd be willing to sign right away, if they give you these things. Then they'll call you and try to discuss it away, but you have to stick to your guns. Be repetitive, it's fine. Make them feel uncomfortable, rather than the other way around (that applies to the original negotiations talk too). Also, read a book on negotiations.
- Depends on location and level. 100k is definitely too low. You need to do the same control asap before the recruiter sends a written offer. So send an email to the recruiter about how you have done more research and because of change in col, taxes and ongoing market rate for your skillset and experience you would like to revise the expected TC. It's up to you if you want to actually throw the number in that email or over a phone call. Read some article by haseebq and be prepared to wake away if you don't get close to your target TC. For 4 years in Bay for sde2, TC should be at least 200k.
- New inmannAt this point, my reocmmendation would be to wait for the offer. If it comes North of 160k-180k you can respect that they didn't give you shit offer of 100K but then you can understand the base vs sign on vs stock split. And then tell your view based on your further research of cost of living adjustment. You can say that the 100K figure was more VA. But I doubt cost of living adjustment is more than 60-80%.
Unless they give you an offer of 180K and you say you want 240K . That makes you look like a flip flop. At this point, I would wait for them to make you an offer. If it's a reasonable offer you can ask to tweak things a bit. But that's all. I don't think Amazon would offer 100K for L5 SDE in Seattle
- I don't think waiting for the offer is the right move here. Recruiters would make you fill like you won even when you lost by saying "I did much better than what you asked for and got you 140k" which still wouldn't reflect the market rate". Better to tell them that you want to revise the numbers
- Aspiration dGPe12Are you relocating to Sea? If so, definitely too low. Is $100k total comp or just base? If they come back with $100k total comp, just tell them you meant that as the base. $100k base + $30k signing bonus + $100k per year in stock comp would not be too bad for 4 years of experience.
Now, speaking as a share holder of AMZN, take the $100k and work as hard as you can. Thanks.